1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Raised Veg Beds

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Joolz, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
    +884
    Good Morning all. Hope you're all in fine fettle this Sunday Morn.

Over the next month, I'm going to be adding in raised veg beds in an area up by my greenhouse. I've been reading bits and bobs and watching vids on Youtube to get an insight into the do's and don'ts so to speak.

I have read about removing the turf and also about turning the turf over so that the grass is facing down onto the soil and also putting a covering of cardboard over it to suppress any growth.

As raised veg beds will be a new venture for me (although I have grown veggies in large planters etc) I'd value your opinions.
    I'm more inclined to go with the removal and create a turf stack by my compost bins for loam in time but if there's no real need for me to do that, then that would save a lot of back-breaking work. Not shy of that, but hey, if I can avoid hard slog..... hahahaha.

This is just a rough outlay of where the beds will be sited. My garden faces south so gets sun (when it shows it's face) nigh on all day.

IMG_8444.jpg

In time I plan to remove the grassed area around the beds and will put down a membrane and bark pathway and very probably more beds. lol.
    For now, I'm leaving the grass down between the beds and enough width for hubby to get through them with the mower.

The bed sizes will be 2 x 4x8 beds and 1 4x6 bed.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on how I get them started with either removing the turf or one of the other methods.

• Like Like x 1
    • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
      Ratings:
      +2,381
      What a great space! And how nice is that willow tree to sit under in a south facing garden.
      For me it would all depend just how deep the raised beds are planned.
      If they were say 60cm, then you could just fill them straight with compost (no turf disturbance at all).
      If the beds are say, 30cm deep I'd turn over the turf.
      Under 30cm, I'd remove the turf and stack it as you suggested.
      The beds should be in good condition by next spring ☺
      I don't think you'll go far wrong with that well kept space.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
        +884
        Morning @Jymi riddler . Thank you for your info. I feel 60cm would be slightly too high for me to work with easily. We're looking at a height of 46 to 50cm height above ground.

The willow is divine to sit under when the sun is out and the temp is high. I tend to do all my potting on under there when the fine weather allows.

• Like Like x 2
          Last edited: Jul 26, 2020