1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Raising plants from seeds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by clueless1, Feb 20, 2012.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Evening all.

I don't usually bother much with seeds, except the super easy reliable ones. The reason being that I don't usually have too much success with them.

This year, I'm determined to crack it. But I have a few questions that really I should have tried to find the answer to years ago, but hey ho, better late than never.

I sowed a load of seeds in tiny individual pots last sunday. Mostly chillis but also 3 pea plants. They have been in my shiny new cheapo heated propagator since. Already, one pea plant has germinated and 2 chillis.

Those that have germinated have been moved tonight to my shiny new unheated propagator in a sunnier window, with the air vents open in the lid. My plan is to move the individual pots from heated to unheated propagator as and when they come through.

Is that right?

Also, when it comes to watering them (which so far I haven't had need to do since I originally sowed them - the water isn't escaping because I keep the lid on so it condenses and drops back down through the night). I've been finding that every day I take the lid off and I have to shake off loads of water. Have I over watered?

Also, what one earth is 'pricking out'?

And finally, given that seed compost is supposed to be low in nutrients, at what point to you have to give the new seedlings their first liquid feed?

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "Is that right?"

Yup. Maximum light after they have germinated, but don't let them cook in their little propagators if the Sun starts to shine one them ...

"given that seed compost is supposed to be low in nutrients, at what point to you have to give the new seedlings their first liquid feed?"

I never do (unless something is in the seed compost for months). They will be pricked out in under 4 weeks, and then they will have (say) multi purpose which will be good for about 6 weeks worth of feed.

Water from the bottom (stand in a shallow tray of water for a while, then allow to drain)

Use tap water, not rain water (for seedlings; older plants will he fine with rainwater). Leave it a while to let the chlorine evaporate, and the temperature to rise to ambient.

Watch out for damping off. Its not generally a problem if you have clean containers and sterilised seed compost, although if you sow very densely that will be likely to encourage it (if you are worried then when you dunk-water include a fungicide specifically suitable for seedlings (used to be Chesunt Compound, no longer sold, but there are suitable replacement products)

• Like Like x 3
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,612
      Ok Clueless, here we go!

The seedlings should be removed from the heated propagator as soon as they show, if they are indoors there's no need to put them in another propagator, the window sill will do.

If the seeds are really tiny they can be sown in trays and pricked out when they are big enough. 'Pricking out' is when the seedlings are large enough to be moved on from a tray into a pot, or a larger pot. When the first leaves 'seed leaves' not 'true leaves' are established, ease them out of the soil gently so not to break the one and only root. This is usually done using a small tool to help ease it from the soil. Then pot on to it's own individual pot, making sure those first leaves are just barely above soil level.

Your propagator seems to be working perfectly, unless it's flooding don't worry about the condensation that forms, that will keep your pots moist and watering unecessary.

You won't need to feed the seedlings at all, they will gain all they need from the compost they are in, if you did feed them, it's likely they'd be over fed and you lose them. They won't need feeding until they're fully grown.

Finally, if you leave the seedlings in the second propagator they are likely to grow 'leggy' with to much heat and lack of light. Once they have developed a bit more move them to a cooler room if possible, it will start to harden them off and slow down growth, so that they fill out instead.

Good luck! :)

• Like Like x 3
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,177
        Only thing I can add to Kristen and Sheal's post are to watch out for sunny days, even an unheated propagator sitting in full sun will get extremely hot inside, enough to dessicate seedlings or scorch the leaves of bigger plants.

• Like Like x 1