1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

raspberry pruning

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Rachelbrigoli, May 2, 2020.

1. Rachelbrigoli

Rachelbrigoli Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I am new to growing fruit and I have some raspberry bushes which look healthy but I'm unsure what to do with them ! I cut all the old wood away a few weeks ago and
    the new canes have already got the beginnings of what I think will be fruit but also there is loads of growth around the base of each plant with new leaves and shoots , should I remove these and just leave the longer canes?
    Thank you in advance !

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,204
    Hi and Welcome to the Forum,

Sounds like your rasps are the summer fruiting type and not autumn ones.

Yes, you did the right thing in cutting out the old brown stems from last year and it sounds good if the other tall shoots are forming flower buds; now is the time to start feeding them and as soon as the fruits form plenty of watering and a high potash feed like Tomato fertiliser.

The new shoots coming from the base are the canes for next year.

Once the fruits have been picked, you cut out, down to the base, all the canes that have fruited this summer, and those new shoots will then be about 4-5 ft high so you tie them in to the support wires etc so they do not get damaged overwinter.

You may find you have lots of these new canes, but its generally suggested in late summer when you come to tie them in, you just select 4, 5 or 6 of the strongest and cut the others down to the base, this tends to give you the best crop in terms of size and quantity.

3. Rachelbrigoli

Rachelbrigoli Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi! Thanks for your reply, this is really helpful! I’ll make sure I feed them well and fingers crossed I’ll have a good crop.

• Like Like x 1