1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-laying a loose lawn edging Sett

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Kevin Cowans, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Hello all

I hope you are well.

Whilst weeding in the back garden I have noticed that one of the Sandstone Edging Setts around the lawn was loose, there may be more, I have not checked.

I have removed the Sett, which just lifted without issue and the cement base which was crumbling and there is now just soil.

Can anyone please advise how I would go about re-laying the Sett?

For a small job, is there such a product as ready mixed cement that I could use.

Any advise would be welcome as these kind of jobs cause me a multitude of issues.

Give me technology any day :)

Thanks in advance

Kevin

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Sounds like they have just used a bit of Mortar to bed them together, ( no foundations) so would get a small bag of Mortar Mix (typically £6) from most of the diy places inc Toolstation etc and re-lay it with a bit of that. You can get ready mixed Tubs of Mortar but they can be quiet dark in colour compared to the dry mixes.

If you want to know more about drives,paths setts and paving lots of good info here -

Home

3. Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Hello @ricky101

Thanks for the reply.

When I lifted the Sett there was a layer of concrete approximately 2" thick which I had to remove.

Regarding the tubs of ready mixed mortar, would it matter if it is darker since it would be below the Sett and not be visible?

I will lookup the small bags of mortar mix,

Thanks

Kevin

4. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    If there is no mortar between the sets, just underneath as you say, then probably use a concrete mix which will be stronger, but would put some polythene down up against the lawn edge before laying in the cement as it can cause root burn, as we have found when concreting in some fencing posts.

With you saying the 'concrete' was crumbling it sounded more like mortar but seems it just a weak concrete thats been used.

Might be worth checking the rest of the setts first as they might all be close to crumbling ?
    Whats the length of the lawn edging ?

Blue Circle Multi-Purpose Ready To Use Concrete - 20kg | Wickes.co.uk

5. Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Hello @ricky101

I think what may have happened is that the offending Sett is the one right next to the Patio where work was done which may have loosened the Sett.

I may be wrong but it is a feasible explanation.

Thanks for the Link, I will look into ordering a bag.

Quick question, how do I know how much water is needed for the mix?

Also, I am getting myself confused. the base was cement not concrete.

Thanks

Kevin

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  6. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Should be able to pick bags of that concrete from most places, expect delivery costs would be high due to the weight. We still go into the diy places but try and avoid the busy times. Found most folk are quiet careful.

How much water, no specific answer, pour out a a small pile, make a well in its center and slowly add some water then with a trowell mix it in until if more of a stiffish mix, no too sloppy but not too stiff you cannot 'work' it, add a but more water if so, too much water add a bit more dry mix.

Cement is the limestone binding agent.

Mortar is 'soft' Building sand and Cement for bricklaying etc

Concrete is Sharp sand wiht Gravels and Cement to produce a hard and strong mix for foundations etc

Always wear gloves and protection as Cement can be harmful to skin and eyes in both dry form or wet mixed.

7. Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Hello @ricky101

Thanks for the reply, and the information.

So, it looks as though I need to look for the Mortar Mix.

Thanks

Kevin

8. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Er, no, you want the Concrete mix as you need something strong for the Setts to rest on.

Though the old 'concrete' was only 2" deep you could take out a couple of more inches of soil to make it a stronger base and less likely to sink or move if walked on.

9. Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Hello @ricky101

Thanks, I told you I much preferred technology :)

I will try and source a bag for delivery, everywhere I have checked thus far are either out of stock or do not deliver.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,697
    There is supposedly a cement shortage at the moment.
    I wanted to lay a few bricks a while back and I had to buy ready mixed mortar as I couldn't get a bag of cement, its all a bit weird as i think its still available to the trade.

Not wanting to complicate matters but a bit of PVA added to the mix gives you a stronger mix.

11. Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Hello @pete

Nothing is ever simple is it :sad:

I am getting the Setts in the front garden removed, due to the wrong stone being laid, hopefully later this month, so will be looking at getting them re-done when I get the Patio re-done in early August.

I may just wait till then and get them to re-lay the single Sett, much easier :)

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Probably worth a trip to your local B&Q as they seem to have the most stock of things, though do not rely on their online stock values as many are totally wrong, out when in , and in when out ! as we found when looking for some flagstones and sand.

You could try their big Derne Valley place if nothing local and you can travel, its not too far from you...

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,062
      @pete

There is none here, I tried to get some bagged cement and no builders merchants have any. There is a building boom going on, our village is full of white vans, people are extending and converting houses to get a home office or more space.

You should be able to find the ready mixed sand and cement (mortar mix) in DIY stores hopefully Kevin.

• Like Like x 1
      • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
        +1,064
        Hello @JWK

Thanks for the reply.

I have been looking for the bags of cement, for delivery as I am not able to travel, and I am not able to find any.

I can, however, find the Tubs of pre-mixed Mortar, just add water.

One question concerning the Tubs, if I may?

They are available in 2.5kg, 5kg and 10kg Tubs, how much would I need?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        You really want Concrete/Cement Mix rather than a Mortar Mix.

Most are also quick set , so you have little work time.

Assuming you want to do just that one sett then the smallest size you can get will be more than enough.

Toolstation have some in stock locally and for delivery from their main depot.

000665.jpg