1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendation please for really heavy duty loppers.

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by silu, Jul 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I will not repeat my saga re the extremely good loppers I bought from Aldi, suffice to say I broke them and Aldi won't tell me who manufactured them, so can't get another pair.
    Therefore on the hunt for a replacement and hoping GC members can come up with suggestions.
    I know I do not want telescopic handles as they always stop working properly pretty quickly and anvil bladed are normally stronger. Sort of not keen on Spear and Jackson these days as no longer a quality brand IMO/experience.
    The great pair from Aldi cost the enormous sum of £6.99! Oh how I wish I'd bought 1/2 a dozen pairs! Because of the hefty amount of use loppers get here I really do need good quality/ heavy duty ones. If I have to pay a fair whack that's OK as flimsy types won't last me 5 mins. Thanks in advance.

2. Quentin Jackson

Quentin Jackson Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    I use Darlac loppers. The ones I have are ratchet anvil loppers. Supposedly can cut up 60mm, but are telescopic. The ratchet takes a short while to get used to but is easier when cutting thick branches. They do many varieties really happy with them. Also have a telescopic pole and pruner attachment from them which is fantastic. I am going to get their window cleaning attachments for the pole.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,509
      • burnie

burnie Super Gardener

Retired engineer
        Ratings:
        +3,986
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,560
          Have you still got the broken loppers @silu? The manufacturers name should be on them somewhere.

Try looking at images of loppers on the interweb you might come across them. :)

• silu

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Thanks @Sheal, Good ideas. Unfortunately I found out the name on the loppers would appear to be a supplier of loads of things to Aldi but they didn't manufacture the loppers and nobody wants to let me in on the "secret" as to who made them.....all very annoying. Hope all well with you weatherwise. Extremely lively here all day. My very tall lilies have taken a pounding with the rediculously high winds for this time of year and loads of twigs/ leaves everywhere but no great dramas. Think wind is quietening down now, not before time! I'll do an image search for the loppers, I might be lucky. Not bought a new pair yet as still sulking:) but will need some by the end of the month.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,361
            Hi @silu

We've had these Wolf Garten loppers for over 15 years (could be 20 or so) and are anvil style. They get a lot of use and probably need sharpening but still seem to get through the wood OK. I've just been cutting up a lot of 1.5" branches of the plum tree that came down last week. It split down the middle and left a 25ft+ section on the ground. It has been chain sawed and logged but the smaller branches needed lopping short enough to get on the bonfire.

The handles are comfortable to use but the cutting head is a bit heavy (needed for the work it does) and means that an hour of working with it is enough in one go, for me. :old:

I've quickly taken some photos for you.

P1300234.JPG

P1300236.JPG

P1300235.JPG

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
              +21,704
              Your contract is with Aldi, doen't matter who manufactured them. Aldi should replace.

That said, I use Fiscars which have a cogged mechanism and makes short work of anything a pair of loppers should be used for

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,560
              We've had the high winds here too @silu. I found some Antirrhinums ripped clean off their roots this morning. My Cistus is particularly susceptible but that has permanent support with canes now, I've lost two in the past because of strong wind. :doh:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • silu

Ratings:
                +8,083
                Just to warn others, after having used a pair of excellent loppers I bought from Aldi I saw slightly different ones for sale in 1 of their stores so decided to give them a go.
                Lethal rubbish DO NOT BUY. They were completely useless in comparison to the previous pair.
                Within an hour of using 1 pair I managed to bend the blade. Took them back and got a relacement.
                I used these for the 1st time yesterday. I was cutting up an admittedly dead branch which was NOT big. Surely loppers should be strong enough to cut dead wood? Well part of the ratchet mechanism sheared off and disappeared into my Beech hedge never to be seen again. Hell if it had hit my leg or whatever it would have done serious damage.
                Because I had regretted not buying more than 1 pair of the very good ones I had previously, I bought another 2 pairs of these useless ones. ALL will be going back for a refund including the pairs which I have not used.
                I expect Aldi are now using a manufacturer in China. I will not be buying any gardening products from them in the future, pity as the quality used to be quite good.
                Photo is of the branch which caused the failure, as you see hardly large plus photo of the failed pair and new pair to show that it was quite a big chunk of metal that flew off at speed! image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,361
                Those loppers look to be anvil loppers which should be the correct type for dead wood.

Bypass loppers are better for live wood because they don't crush the wood at the cut - which anvils can do unless very sharp. Bypass shouldn't be used on dead wood as the blades tend to bend.

• silu

Ratings:
                +8,083
                Thanks @shiney. quite right they are anvil loppers bought specifically as they are meant to be stronger than bypass and I do chop up quite a load of the likes of Beech hedge clippings (dead wood) to use as kindling for the fires. Am on the hunt for the flaming receipt for the broken pair, have got the 1 for the 2 new pairs which will be going back as well to Aldi after I return from a short break. I certainly will not being using these again. I really was very lucky not to get hurt as the "missile" that flew off missed my face by inches:yikes:. I have ordered a pair of Wolfgarten anvil loppers which are 4 times the price of the Aldi ones but the Aldi ones aren't worth 5 bob to me as I do actually use then for more than twigs! and these aren't strong enough to take the skin off a rice pudding without breaking.