Red lily leaf beetle

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by martin-f, May 28, 2017.

1. martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
    +10,302
    Hi I think I have these on my lily's, what's best to do with them please, I will grab a picture tomorrow.

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    If you see any of the bright red adult beetles then try to gently pull them off of the leaves and then squash them under your shoe on a hard surface because if you don't they will lay their tiny orange eggs on the undersides of leaves which will hatch out into the larvae and these will nosh your Lilly leaves.As the larvae grow they will disguise themselves in a pooh like substance so that they can hide and feed on your plants.

When you collect the beetles try and not let them fall to the ground as they have a tendency to lie on their backs to hide the red colouring and they are very difficult to see:sad:

• Like Like x 1
    • martin-f

Ratings:
      +10,302
      Thank you Kandy will do that, what's the best way to kill the eggs please I presume I will have some I first noticed the beetle a few weeks ago.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Being QUICK is key! Grab them and squash in one movement. Otherwise they will escape to damage again :love30:
      The eggs? Look for their poo like excretians.....not pleasant and wipe off with fingers or tissue. :yawn:

• Like Like x 2
      • martin-f

Ratings:
        +10,302
        Thanks I only have two small plants they cant be that many beetles about,

• Kandy

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        @martin-f it doesn't matter how many plants you have If the beetles are active then they will lay eggs on the underneath the leaves.Turn the leaves over especially ones that look like they have been chewed and you might see two tiny eggs one behind the other on the leaf.These will hatch out and will begin to eat the leaves and will grow into what looks like a grub.You can squish the eggs by using any plant leaf,and then after covering them just squash them.If you ahave e not squeamish you can just rub them with your finger and that should kill them.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
        • Kandy

Head gardener
          Ratings:
          +6,543
          IMG_0689.JPG @martin-f here is a photo of the tiny larvae(note sure now if they start off as eggs first)that the beetles have placed underneath some of my Lily leaves.These are now going to be squished:snorky:

• Like Like x 1
          • martin-f

Ratings:
            +10,302
            Ok many thanks, ive just been out and sorted the adults out, even caught them in the act, how rude :ouch1:, I squashed them with long nose plyers, that put a stop to their chocolate :yes:
            IMG_4397.JPG IMG_4398.JPG

I will sort the eggs out tomorrow.