1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing ant's nests... what happens next?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Englishgirlinbrazil, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one Watergarden,

The acting was nearly as good as SG1 :thumb: Scary eye protectors though :doh:

2. Englishgirlinbrazil

Englishgirlinbrazil Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just a PS to this thread, that it is now three months on and I don't appear to have any ants nests in my garden.

Whooopeeee! :rolleyespink:

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi EGIB,

Glad you got back to us on that one, when our members stop replying we often mistakenly think they have been consumed by ants, phew :heehee:

Good that is sorted:dbgrtmb:

4. Yana

Yana Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hello Victoria, can I ask here: can these methods be used if there are ants' nests under my plants? They built it under my all lavenders! I have tried to water them regularly but lavender does not like a lot of moisture so I was afraid to kill my young plants...do you think washing liquid, vinegar or saltwater can be used in my case or not? There are a lot of them on my roses as well due to aphids: I think I have seen you answer somewhere about washing liquid on aphids as well? Is it is correct, would you be able to avise what proportion I need to make not to burn my young plants, please?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
  5. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,246
    @Yana I would avoid watering with saltwater. There are nematodes that can be used against ants and also products containing diatomaceous earth can be used against ants.
    Years ago I had a gooseberry bush with a similar problems; it got dug up, the ant nest was dug out and the gooseberry replanted in clean soil from another part of the garden.
    As for the aphids I would use an insecticidal soap or Neem oil.

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,652

Hello Yana. As I mentioned you just put a big squeeze of washing up liquid in your standard spray bottle and shake. You can also put a dash of hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol in to use on ants or aphids. It will not harm your plants. I used it on ants last week and also on my Brugmansia.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Yana

Yana Gardener

Ratings:
      +12
      Thank you very much for your advise

• Yana

Yana Gardener

Ratings:
      +12
      Thank you very much!

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,271
      Hmmmm....all this dosing the soil with detergent/vinegar/salt/bleach! I use the proprietary little round traps that you squeeze a few drops of anticide into. Other creatures can't access it, it gets taken straight back to the nest and destroys it. It works extremely well without polluting the soil or damaging plants. Once you have the traps, the fourmicide comes in refill tubes.
      https://www.amazon.fr/Fertiligène-A...eywords=piege+a+fourmis&qid=1627413127&sr=8-6

• Like Like x 2