1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Repotted and (i think) dieing (photos)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Riggaz, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Riggaz

Riggaz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HI

I had to repot this plant last weekend after the soil had all but tipped out and become mouldy in my old basement apartment (since moved to a sunny apartment) and am worried about it as it is getting worse

I repotted it in the stuff i have posted a picture of below, and gave it a good water and left it out of direct sunlight since sunday

Any tips on what i can do to get it back

I also had to remove some of the root, and i havent cut it back as i love the shape but will cut back if i must

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks!

Az

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    That's a Yucca. I think they're fairly bomb proof, but what you've done so far is good, fresh compost, keep watering it and yes, they love sunshine. Doesn't look too unhealthy though. Maybe give it a good feed as well?

When you say leaving it in the sun, make sure you bring it in at night time, even at this time of year. As a cossetted house plant, night temperatures might shock it, even in summer.

3. Riggaz

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, leave it in the sun meaning indoors but full sun through the window. My whole living room wall is a glass wall so get amazing sun in the morning

I have only watered it once (heavy water once a week) as i thought i didn't need to water this too often, should i water more? Is Tomato feed ok to feed it or should i get other generic plant food

thanks for the reply!

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I use Baby Bio for house plants, when I remember. I'd keep the compost moist but not soaked. But they're pretty hardy and I've seen students with specimens in a far worse condition that yours perk up and recover when given a chance.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,048
    Be careful, if its used to shede it needs to be intoduced to ful sun gradually, especially at this time of the year.
    As you have just re potted I would not feed until it starts to show some new growth, and be careful not to overwater also.
    I'd just keep it in good light and just moist, to let it get settled in.

6. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Your Yucca doesn't look too bad Rigazz.
    Perfection is only for the professional growers.
    I would lay off the tomato food, that's only for flowering and fruiting plants once they're at that stage.
    I think if you keep it just damp in moderate light with a light feed when you remember your Yucca will get on just fine.

7. Riggaz

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Alice - Striving for perfection isn't a bad thing is it?

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No, ask seven of nine.