Requesting the impossible ? What plant

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jack McHammocklashing, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,299
    Hi
    I need a bush/tree ?
    It would need to reach 3m high but no wider than 2m
    Preferably evergreen
    Silk tassel bush (garrya elliptica) would be ideal except for the size

Why, A six foot fence, at the back but the garden is higher than the houses below, so have to look at someones solar energy panels and rusted guttering

If I could get something just one metre higher it would be out of site

I have thought of extending the height of the fence with an additional metre of willow screening with a climber up it, but not sure if it is legal as laws state no fence higher than 2mts

One maintained Leylandii, possible I suppose

Any thought please

Jack McHammocklashing

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Is that a local by-law or just the general 8ft law on hedges and fences? If its the latter, remember that there is ambiguity in the law. When does a hedge stop being a hedge and start being an avenue of trees?

Apart from Willow, which I'd always recommend just because I've seen it work, what about Buddleja? It will happily grow to 10ft every year except its first year.

How about some nice silver birch? I think birch is gorgeous, and grows at ridiculous speed without losing its columnar shape.

Oh, and there's another lovely tree like I had at my last gaff. False Acacia:
    False Acacia - Google Search

At my last gaff, when I moved in, it was a youngster no more than 5ft tall. When we moved out 10 years later, I'd been up on the ladders several times to trim it, and it was still about 20ft high. Its a gorgeous tree in every way, shape, colour, scent.

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,904
      The legal max height of a fence is 2m unless local covenants say lower.

The 8ft height limit for evergreens (deciduous have no restrictions) is only a guideline that local authorities use before they will take action. The legal limit is 2m but there is a reasonable amount of time allowed before having to cut the top of a 2m hedge - hence the allowed 8ft. This only applies if there is more than one evergreen.

One evergreen has no height, or width, limit but there may be entitlement to light if the neighbour has had that light for 20 years. Leylandii, judiciously pruned, can easily reach a width of 2m.

A combination of a single evergreen with adjoining deciduous trees would be quicker. A very fast growing deciduous tree is elderberry. You can also get some very attractive elderberry trees - variegated or purple etc. You would also have the opportunity to make elderflower or elderberry wine.

Although I would not normally recommend Leylandii as a boundary, a single tree that can be kept neatly trimmed to shape can look quite good.

These are some that I trim about twice a year. They're about 10ft high.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
      • theruralgardener

theruralgardener Gardener

Ratings:
        +149
        Eleagnus ebbingei is a nice evergreen shrub that grows to 3x2m 'ish' and it can be pruned if you need to. Either just the green one, which has lovely scented flowers in winter...but you can't see them, (tiny and underneath the leaves) Or Maculata Limelight which is variegated gold and green.
        Would take a few years to get to this height though.
        Some evergreen berberis too.

• theruralgardener

Ratings:
        +149
        What neat trimming Shiney! Lovely shaped conifers.

• theruralgardener

Ratings:
        +149
        Or you could build a seat with an arbor over it, with climbers growing up both sides. Then you could sit with your back to the panel too!

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,904
          Thanks :dbgrtmb:, but it's a problem keeping my scissors sharp :heehee:

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
          Ratings:
          +7,299
          It is when sitting in the lounge the only view is of the rusty Rones :-)
          a couple of feet of something would change the eyelevel and blank it out

Cheers

Jack McH