1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

rhododendron

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Rob, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Rob

Rob Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all this is my first post so here goes.

Took up gardening 3 years ago. I moved into a new property and went to work on a totally grassed garden. I dug a border round the grass it is heavy clay the real plasticine stuff. After nearly killing myself and developing tennis elbow I managed to clear about 18 inches deep. I then refilled it with a mixture of 50/50 general purpose compost and top soil.

I planted 2 dwarf bamboo plants (Fargesia Murielae 'Mae')last year which are doing fine. Last week I planted a rhododendron in the only place I had left behind the bamboo Approx 2ft away.

My question is should I enrich the soil around it to make it more acid (I did this to a sectioned off area with azalias and they thrived) or will it affect surounding plants. Should I remove the rhododendron. Or should I just leave it alone and take a chill pill.

The mix is a product bought from a well known garden centre / DIY shop for acid loving plants.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks Rob

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The rhododendron will thrive better in an acid enriched soil, alternatively there are preperations on garden centre shelves for watering acid loving plants to alter the Ph

this shouldn't affect the bamboo's which would also benefit from an acid soil