1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ribes(King Edward)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by wiseowl, Mar 18, 2019.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,846
    Good morning everyone I have a question for you,I had to move these two Ribes (King Edward at the end of last year,I have noticed that one of them is way behind the other one and I am wondering if you have the answer for me.Thank you:smile:

P1310478.JPG P1310477.JPG

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Could be several reasons Woo ....situation now, situation before (maybe one was in a sunnier spot and fruiting wood ripened better), the soil, one suffered more during transplantation and therefore taken longer to settle in, a shyer or later flowering clone, or did you prune it during the summer for any reason (?) or anything we could guess at!!:noidea:
    Did they flower at same time before?
    My feeling is not to concern yourself too much......It could well be your non flowering bush will simply flower a couple of weeks later!
    I have a large ribes in full flower here now.....a love hate shrub re scent it seems but I love it :)
    Incidentally, I would suggest you prune both your plants after flowering....Flowering and non flowering to produce thicker bushes :)

• Like Like x 2
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,846
      Good afternoon @Verdun my friend many thanks for your answer,I have noticed that the main stems are indeed green and alive but the top branches which are about 6 inches long, are red in colour seem to be brown underneath when scraped off,I shall follow your sound advice and leave it where it is and will prune them after flowering.:smile:

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
      Ratings:
      +5,368
      Ribes sanguinium 'King Edward VII' are often grown here. Normally, the would be pruned exactly as @Verdun says, after flowering. When the plant is to be rejuvenated, it would be cut down to about 30cm in the depths of Winter.

@wiseowl I have guessed that you have those in your garden. The Swedish name for them is rosenrips! :)

• Like Like x 2