1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rockery perennial with scented flowers?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by wildernessman, Aug 16, 2012.

1. wildernessman

wildernessman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently clearing a small patch of ground in my garden - about 4' x 3'. It is on a south facing slope, and just to the east of it is a wall, so it gets no sun in the morning, and despite there being a few trees around (including a sycamore just to the north, it gets quite a bit of light.

The main feature, however, of this bit of ground is that there are a few large rocks sticking out. They only go up to about 8" above soil level, but they are still too big for me to want to move them.

I'd like to cover them with some sort of low growing flowering perennial. Colour would be nice, and so would scent.

Certastium tomentosum (Snow-in-summer) is one candidate (we have some growing nearby, so I know that it grows well in my garden, and it won't cost me anything.) Not very colourful, but pretty enough, and I like the scent.

Phlox subulata looks like a possibility - having the advantage of colour. I gather from various stories in the press that it has an "interesting" scent, but I have no idea what that scent is actually like, and how pleasant I might find it.

I also gather that various forms of Dianthus might be a possibility.

Any others I should consider? Or any thoughts on those that I have mentioned?

2. westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
    Ratings:
    +598
    What about low growing golden coloured herbs such as golden oregano? Looks stunning next to a purple campanula and will go on for ever.

3. wildernessman

wildernessman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for those thoughts. I'll put them on the list of possibilities.