1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Roundup weedkiller

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by miraflores, Aug 11, 2018.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,482
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,434
      OK - but that same decision had been arrived at before the court case, and it was the WHO that arrived at that same decision. You are bang on that declarations like this should not be based on 12 people in a jury, who may or may not have any scientific knowledge - - BUT their decision currently pertains to that particular case, and there is a global health body that is saying the same thing. Either the WHO have got it wrong, and if they have they need to say so; if they haven't, why haven't they acted on it.

I agree with you that there seems to be a vendetta against Monsanto, but then is it case of there being no smoke without fire? I am not anti-Monsanto, nor am I pro-WHO (or any other pseudo-political body for that matter), all I am saying is that there is much more to this than is currently being said.

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +45,989
        Roundup used carefully as per the instructions is safe. I'm sorry for this chap who has cancer, but there are much worse chemicals which we somehow turn a blind eye to.

I hate to point this out but cigarettes have been proven beyond doubt to cause cancer yet you can still buy them.

• Agree Agree x 7
        • Like Like x 3
        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          Perhaps it's to control under arm hair. My original comment was based upon scientific literature I reglarly get, and also the more recent controversy relating to crop spraying, nicotinoides etc. Glysophate the main ingrediant of Roundup. I wonder how many of us have used this against bindweed, only to find that it doesn't completely do the job it's claimed to do. Yet farmers spray with it and other concotions and they get results. To me, this suggests that what you and I pay out for at the garden center is knats pee compared to the commercial grade.

Local observations seem to prove to me that for the average gardener to spend out on Roundup, you are fighting a losing battle. In all my years, I have yet to find a case where Roundup or for that matter any other chemical has totally destroyed unwanted garden growths.

• Like Like x 2
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,212
            Although we're talking about the possible cancer inducing properties of Roundup the court case, and award, is not anything to do with getting it banned. It's simply the case of whether the product should have been labelled that there's a possibility of it causing cancer and that users should take precautions.

Monsanto appears to have made a commercial decision not to label its product to that effect and the whole case is based on that fact. The scientific arguments, although put forward at the jury trial, will be judged by legal professionals at the appeal, which is bound to follow.

Assuming that there is some substance in the claims that it may cause cancer then Monsanto would have been better advised to settle out of court and to re-label its product. Of course, that would leave them open to further claims from other people - unless they had settled quickly and obtained a gagging order.

Either they have made a very bad commercial decision or they're fairly confident in their science.

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
            +21,616
            Given that practically everything these days is potentially cancer causing, including just being alive, I can't see that the Roundup can be identified as 100% the culprit. Has the man ever been to a smoky bar for example?

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,997
              • Like Like x 1
              • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,259
                Mike I don’t use domestic stuff, I’m trained up so I only use commercial products but even domestic products require me to have the training.
                Yes the commercial stuff has benefits but most of the time with domestic use it’s not applying at the correct time, over application and simply not reading the instructions.
                I find Roundup Pro very effective but I only apply when conditions and plant growth are suited to the application regardless of the customer requirements.
                Common mistakes in a domestic setting is over application in the belief it’s the best way to deal with weeds where a bit of manual work can be just as effective. Time saving is why it’s used so much.
                I said on another thread a while back that herbicides will disappear from the shelves for domestic use and with Julia Kloeckner in Germany who is setting up to ban Glysophate it’s now not if it will be banned but when.

• Informative Informative x 2
                • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,830
                  What really concerns me is the way Roundup is misused pre harvest on cereal crops. It’s sprayed on about two weeks before harvest, kills off the wheat and then the wheat is harvested. It’s no surprise that most bread tests positive for Roundup. It’s shocking. I don’t have a big problem with Roundup being used on paths, along railway lines and applications like that but directly on wheat is IMO, a really big problem and what is driving the proposed ban. I think Monsanto have shot themselves in the foot by promoting its use in this way. They are a totally irresponsible company.

• Agree Agree x 4
                  • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +5,089
                    Commercial growers of potatos have to be put under the spotlight too. Until very recently they used sulphuric acid on the crop just before harvest and now its replacement diquat is being lookedcat as another chemical that will shortly be banned.
                    Maybe this is why so many people around me in the rural towns are being killed off with various forms of cancers?

• Informative Informative x 2
                    • Scrungee

Ratings:
                      +28,997
                      I've got enough to treat an area the size of 27 football pitches (yes, I don't like football!).

• Funny Funny x 6
                      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                        Ratings:
                        +31,818
                        The miss use of insecticdes should also be looked into as well

Just look at fly sprays and how some people just spray it every where :hate-shocked: if they know what in side the can they wouldn't use it, i don't

• Agree Agree x 1
                          Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
                        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +85,482
                          Does it work on astro turf ?;)

• Like Like x 1
                          • Funny Funny x 1
                          • Scrungee

Ratings:
                            +28,997
                            That's got me thinking about whether it's safe to smoke GM glyphosate resistant tobacco that's been sprayed with Roundup? And who to blame if you get cancer?

• Funny Funny x 6
                            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                              +100,836
                              Well, Monsanto has just been bought by Bayer [a German firm] for $66 Billion dollars making it the world's largest seed and chemical supplier having at least 25% of the global market, so it's basically worth trillions.......so perhaps there's some truth to the saying "Money talks":dunno::heehee:

[​IMG]