1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Rufforth Auto Jumble.

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Retired, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +5,791
    Hi,

Weather permitting I attend Rufforth Auto Jumble near York the first Saturday of each month as I've done this morning. Rufforth to me is like a candy store to a child; I always return home with lots of goodies and today was no exception.

I arrived on site at 7am it being just an hours drive away from us and paid the £2 entry fee. As I wandered around with eyes wide open whilst keeping an eye on my wish list I noticed a cranked hoe laying on the ground with the seller strewn across the rear of his open van looking disinterested in the world so I picked up the hoe and taking it to him asked the usual how much please; he replied the hoe was over 100 years old as indicated by the knob on the handle end and it was £30 so he still has the hoe. On another stall I spotted a second old cranked hoe; how much? at £2 it's now mine. On the same stand were two old Suffolk petrol mowers and I was interested in these but resisted the temptation and strolled away; a while later I was looking at these two mowers once again but thought do I really need three petrol mowers already owning two so again I wandered away; on the third visit to the stall I asked how much; the guy replied that the one I was interested in just needed some TLC and it was rare in that it still had its grassbox he wanting £20 for it.

As I trundled the mower to the car some distance away it kicked up a lot of noise with its metal roller on the tarmac and the blades spinning causing just about everyone to have a good look; amazingly as I pushed the mower along the many people kindly stepped to one side allowing me to mow a clear path to the car; I was certainly the center of attention. At the car I dropped the rear seats and emptied the boot of the goodies already bought and was about to take a deep breath in order to lift the mower when two passing guys kindly asked if I needed a lift with the mower into the car boot which I thankfully accepted; our car is a Skoda Yeti so plenty of space but by the time I had replaced the other items the boot filled quickly. I then wandered around a while longer buying more items before heading back home.

At a stall I saw a very very old incomplete belt driven motorcycle; it's tyres had rotted away; it had an underslung angular petrol tank and of a make I wasn't familiar with but what a temptation; the price tag read £1,850 and what a shame I simply don't have space for it otherwise I'd have bought it but the Colt mower compensated for it.

After dinner with my old clothes on and wearing rigger gloves I struggled to remove the mower from the car but was pleased when the mower was finally in my workshop allowing a few pictures to be taken.

The mower is a petrol Suffolk Colt and is complete; I'm going to enjoy restoring it and at £20 I've done a good deal. Just a little story of what I get up to because I'm forever restoring something or other?

Kind regards, Colin.

Rufforth items_001.JPG
    A new toy to play with.

Rufforth items_002.JPG
    The grass in the grass box was thrown in free of charge; A nice project ahead; it's surprising how much it weighs. I should have had three "Weetabix"?

Rufforth items_006.JPG
    Not in bad condition and well worth the £20 just to tinker with it.

Rufforth items_008.JPG

More goodies I bought this morning; we use lots of black bin bags and a stall was selling rolls of 20 at £1 per roll or 6 rolls for £5 so I handed over £20 for 24 rolls. A 12V inspection lamp at £3 that I'll convert to 240V it being fully insulated and I'll upgrade the switch; a "Bergen" set of box spanners at £8; the cranked hoe at £2; small shovel at £3 and screws and washers; not a bad morning at all.

• Like Like x 1