1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Salvias...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by kriss, Mar 23, 2019.

1. kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
    +79
    CBA77AE0-22C3-41F0-92E1-A331292084CF.jpeg I bought 6 plug plants that I potted up. Should I be keeping them compact and enocouraging the roots and side shoots to develop? Or am I shocking them by clipping the long straggly tips back?

When they arrived in the mail they were a little leggy so I cut them back slightly. Not drastically.

2. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Hi @kriss , you've done exactly what I would have.

PS.... i hope you used the bits you cut off as cuttings. Salvias are very easy to root and if you cut say 3 off each pkant you could have another 18 plants for nothing.

3. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Yes Kriss....pinch back those shoots. You won’t “shock” them :)
    I grow lots of salvias here and all are pinched back ....usually 3 or 4 times....to produce nice bushy plants :)

4. kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
    +79
    Cool, so if I do this for another 4-5 weeks, keeping them in doors, they may begin to resemble something of a proper plant later in the summer? Ie. Having saved lots of money by buying them as plugs l!

5. Verdun

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Kriss, they will resemble “proper” plants.....they will quickly make large full size flowering plants for summer impact. Most salvias grow fast.:)
    During the next few weeks growth will prob surprise you....you will prob need to pot into bigger pots too before planting into the garden :)

6. kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
    +79
    At the moment my stuff is mainly at the back of the house. So by midday, although the plants get natural light, the sun is then moving around to the front of the house.

Does this matter? The difference between day light and direct sunlight coming in the window?

7. Verdun

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Don’t worry Kriss....
    During the day can you put your plants outside then bring them in night time? :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  8. kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
    +79
    I did that yesterday because it was so sunny! Not sure I’ll manage that everyday before leaving for work at 6am.

If the forecast suggests it’ll be mild for a few nights, ie temp staying well above freezing, could leave them out or is it just a gamble?

9. Verdun

Ratings:
    +17,487
    It’s not the time to gamble Kriss....you could damage your precious plants. Get some fleece then and drape it over your salvias on cold nights :)