1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Screening Advice

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Irmemac, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,686
    Hello, looking for a bit of advice here. Got a planning letter to say that the people out the back want to build a very large rear extension running the entire width of the house, with bifold doors the full length. They do a lot of entertaining so it's going to get noisy! In addition they have very barky dogs which are shut out the back for hours on end. Although the gardens are a reasonable length there is a lot of echo, despite a line of fairly straggly conifers along the back of our garden. When the dogs are out, the noise makes it difficult to have conversation on our patio which is tucked at the back of our house. I am looking to plant something in front of the conifers to provide screening and *maybe* muffle the noise a little. I'd like something evergreen, pretty dense, but perhaps flowering, so that the lost bottom of the garden looks slightly more attractive than at present. The conditions there are damp and shady, as it is north facing. It gets little sun. All I can think of is rhododendron or pieris. Anyone got any suggestions? I'm looking for ultimately 8-9 feet tall in the end. Thanks for any advice :spinning:

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Been using Holly as a noise break at the National Trust garden, it's right next to the A35. The shape of the leaves diffuses the sound waves :spinning:

• Like Like x 3
    • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,686
      Thanks for the information. That's interesting to know. I have a holly at the front, and thought it was only useful for evergreen colour and cutting bits off for decorations at Christmas! At least it is making itself useful :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,512
        You can get variegated holly as well. :dbgrtmb: It comes with either gold or silver edging.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,686
          That is really lovely. I only have glossy dark green at the front, but the variegated would be a nice splash of colour to lift the dark green along the back. Thank you :spinning:

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,206
          While looking good, Holly can be a slow grower, well at least in the early years.

Did an 8ft high screen using a mix of Holly, Pyracantha and Leylandii and just ran the electric hedge shears over it once or twice a year to keep it in check.

Almost fully covered its tellis fence in the second year, visually ok ,reasonably evergreen with some small flowers and berries, plus the Pyracantha makes it almost animal proof, but a haven for birds.

Never understand why folk have dogs then just leave them outside barking away for hours while the are still inside the house.

Edit - found an old pic (2005) of the screen in mid winter, looks like there might be a bit of winter jasmine in there as well with its little yellow flowers.

2005-03-13 024.jpg

• Like Like x 4
            Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            I think the operative word here is WANT ... so, I'm guessing the letter is referring to them applying for permission and not that they have been granted permission? If so, you have a right to object to the planning permission. If you have other neighbours who will be affected they can also object.

Regarding the noisy dogs, might be worth giving your local council a call.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Useful Useful x 1
            • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
              Ratings:
              +5,368
              I'm not sure how the laws are there, but here I would have replied to the letter, objecting to the proposal, and stating my reasons why in the strongest possible terms!

Remember also that this proposal could also have a negative effect not only on your life/health, but also the value of your house.

At the very least, if your neighbours go ahead with the proposal, they should be the ones using their money to put some kind of noise screen in place.

Better to nip this in the bud, I think.

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
              Ratings:
              +7,625
              I'm a fan of cherry laurel - evergreen - quick growing - and dense - so they will block out the sound.

It's difficult to object on the basis that the extension will encourage your neighbours to make noise in the garden - that's not really a planning issue...:dunno:

The barking dogs however - there's an electronic gizmo that deters barking - I understand that when the dog barks they emit a very high pitched sound - that only dogs can hear. The one's I've seen seem to have reasonable reviews. Buy one and attach it to the conifers at the bottom of your garden and see what happens :thumbsup:.

• Informative Informative x 1
              • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,686
                Ricky, I love your hedge. It would be perfect, if only I could get it transplanted here!! Thanks for the heads up on holly - right enough mine has taken 10 years to get to five feet tall. This won't do for the back!

M, thank you for the support - sometimes I feel like a grumpy so and so! I have indeed expressed my 'concern' to the council, but sadly I think I will not have any impact.

Sandy, also thank you. Unfortunately I live in an area where people are not interested in their neighbours' wellbeing. Interestingly this is also an area where very few people garden. Linked? I think so :scratch:

Clanless.... cherry laurels? An intriguing idea, so will investigate further. They look a nice bright green. I'm not bothered about people in their gardens, it's the fact that their house will extend a good few metres closer to mine, and that they can in effect remove the entire back wall (due to bifold doors the entire length). I'm not suggesting they are not delightful neighbours, but their next door neighbour got soundproofing fitted to try to reduce the noise from them!

• shiney

Ratings:
                +118,512
                Laurel is pretty fast growing once it's established - about 2ft per year. So would provide a good screen but I'm not sure it will make much difference to the sound (nor will any hedge).

May I suggest a dog hating Triffid? :heehee:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
                • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,686
                  I like it.... but do you have any human-eating ones? Nothing wrong with the poor dog!

• Funny Funny x 1
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +118,512
                    @Irmemac
                    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +1,686
                      :lunapic 130165696578242 5::hapfeet:

That's it! Looks like its got just enough room left to swallow my boss! Much obliged :yay:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Funny Funny x 1
                      • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +5,414
                        Didn't you see the sign: "heavy plant crossing"? :snorky:

G.

• Funny Funny x 2