1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Shady container flowers?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by FrancescaH, Jun 11, 2021.

1. FrancescaH

FrancescaH Gardener

Ratings:
    +549
    I have an old step ladder which currently has a pot with some unknown dying specimen in it. The step ladder can hold a few small pots and one big one on the top, I'd love an idea for a fast-growing, flowering plant. The problem is it needs to be shady. This area gets no full sun, it's light shade only.

I thought something that climbs could be nice, but it needs to be fast growing if possible.

Any suggestions?

2. Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
    Ratings:
    +774
    More of a plant that sprawls about than climbs but a nice flower for shade is vinca. You might also have some nice flowers from honeysuckle which I have growing well in a fairly shady part of the garden. Have these doing well in the ground so not sure how well they would grow in pots.

• Like Like x 1
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +611
      Hi two fast growing climbers are ivy and The climbing Hydrangea The climbing Hydrangea does not require a great deal of sunlight to give off flowers.and is hardy

Some the large-flowered hybrid varieties of clematis do well in shade.

The ‘Alberic Barbier’ variety is an old variety of rambling rose that handles shade well.

.All Virginia creeper does well in shade

and as mentioned Both evergreen and deciduous honeysuckle are great climbers for shade

Whatever plant you chose if you have a pet make sure its not toxic for pets

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,682
      My doorstep delight is Vinca minor variegata with Hellebores. The Vinca flowers in early summer but is decorative all year round, and Hellebores flower most winter if it's mild. Both do well in shade.

Hardy Geraniums also flower well in shade, and the flowering period is longer than in full sun. Very fast growing and attractive plants.

Or, if an instant fix is needed, waxy begonias are great, flower all summer and may turn out to be perennials (or can be grown as houseplants over winter). Morrisons usually sell them for peanuts so it's affordable to buy a lot and overplant the container for a good display. :)

Stepladder planting sounds lovely, please do post photos!