1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Shed base near a tree

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Modded, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Modded

Modded Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've been fighting to get our garden under control for a while now (previous owner left it more than messy) and I'm finally up to the last bit - the shed!

The shed itself is falling down a bit so needs fixing up but really I want to replace it completely with a custom built big shed / outhouse type thing that's big enough to fit garden tools one end and my gym at the other with a bit of space off to the side for a mini workshop.

But I've got 3 big problems in the form of huge 20 to 25m tall trees on the left of the existing shed. The shed itself looks to be sat on a 100mm deep concrete slab, no cracks in it currently and it doesn't look to have moved.

I've taken attached a quick pic;

• The dark red is the grounds outline.
    • Bright red is where I want the new shed.
    • Dark green is the concrete slab under the current shed.
    • Light green are some mostly dead trees I'm planning on removing to make space.
    • Cyan is the back of someone's really odd shed, its a good 5m long but barely 2m wide! I noticed when cleaning up that its actually got a brick wall around it at the tree end.
    Forgive the mess but I've been doing the garden from the patio backwards! (I wish I'd done it the other way round but bit late now)

I'm basically looking for the best option that's not going to make the trees fall over but gives me the strength to take the gym equipment and I've never done anything like this around such big trees.

I was originally thinking of a raft foundation with rebar for added strength but like I said I don't want these trees falling over as they'd easily take out a couple of sheds and maybe conservatories depending which way they fell.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Shed_Space.jpg

ADMIN EDIT {Fat Controller} - I have put the picture in full on the post to make it easier for everyone to see :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2019
  2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,511
    Welcome aboard @Modded :sign0016:

Forgive me, I have edited your post to show the full picture rather than an attachment, purely because it makes it easier for everyone to see whilst reading your key. Hopefully you will get plenty of good advice very soon.

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Hi and welcome!

Thinking long term, one or other of those trees may need at some time, to come out.

Once you've got your shed there, how are you going to do it?

4. Modded

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the edit @Fat Controller much easier to see.

@Doghouse Riley if one needed out then pop the shed down, get the old trusty chainsaw out and hire someone else to do it as there's no way I could. Its hard as its shared, we live in a block so those trees are over about 30 gardens over 2 roads just we are unlucky and get the trunks.

I did ask a couple of neighbours but they like them else the people immediately behind are looking right in to their back garden / back windows which I do agree with actually myself even if removing them would give me one hell of a lot more space (3m2+) for a very big garden getaway.

That's why I ended up plumping for having to build around them instead of removing so just need to work out how and there appear to be so many different ways I have to admit I got lost on which would work out best for that mess.

5. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Welcome to the forum.

Now then. Your ambitions are strong and the area of your garden appears to be small. Ground space is what you require so in a digital world, take your piccie and delete, clear the area enclosed by fences etc.

6. Modded

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks @Mike Allen I thinks that it looks small because of the angle (taken from upstairs window) the area I want to make the shed would be approx 8x6m, less about 2.4m on the left for the trees going by the path in place to the side of the shed.

I'm just concerned as to a solid way to build a base to put it on that won't break the trees and avoid risk of one or all falling over. The shed originally had a chipboard floor - the reason I know its on a concrete slab is its completely broken apart from what looks like water damage at ground level.

I had the idea of a rebar concrete raft with a single brick layer outline on and building the frame on top of that with waterproof plastic layer, sort of a damp course. If it wasn't for the trees I'd be happy to just get on with it but I don't know what if any precautions I should take around them or if I should scrap the idea and use some other type of base layer.

7. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    An alternative method to a slab would be a strong base frame with adjustable feet onto small flags or post hole type concrete pads, similar idea to these -

Those tree roots are always going to give lots of movement.

001476.jpg