1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Should i be angry?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Adam Moran, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Your opinions please...

Today i visited my allotment with the intention of cutting down the longer bits of grass towards the bottom of my plot where i intended to put my greenhouse.

Now i will admit it was getting quite overgrown but today my friend lent me his petrol strimmer so i could get it cut.

When i arrived 95% of it had already been cut, now i havnt given anyone permission to cut it but i thought... saves me a job! :)

Then when i walked down to have a closer look i realised they (Council?) have cut the plot next to mine and the bottom half of mine but in doing so run over my greenhouse :mad:

All the aluminum was stacked together and now its in alot of twisted pieces :mad::mad:

So is it my fault that the grass was hiding it? Or can i make a complaint and costs to the council?

2. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I should mention the grass had been cut by a tractor with the big grass cutter on the back (I can see the tyre marks in the soil)

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I'd complain. The trouble is how do you provide who did it?

4. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I had thought about that but tbh it cant have been anyone else but the council, also a chap i get on well with whos next but one to me said he was there when they came and it was the council.

5. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would complain most certainly! But then i dont have an allotment, and dont know how the politics work.

6. Doogle

Doogle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'd have gone up the wall.

However, on reflection, it could just be that the driver had misunderstood the boundaries of what he should have mown and thought that your Greenhouse had just been left there by a previous tenant and was 'surplus to requirements'.

I'd certainly speak to whoever has some authority and make sure that they know what's happened and also to make sure they realise that the bit with the Greenhouse is part of your allocation. You never know, the driver might just have reported that fact that he demolished a 'Greenhouse thingy' and they're waiting for the owner to appear (well, we live in hope)

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    What a shame Adam. You should definately complain and request compensation, no one should drive over your plot.

8. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    I do not or have ever had an allotment, I'm on a waiting list for one and I visit that one quite regularly (just come back from there now). As I understand it, you pay for your allottment and its then your responsibilty to keep it tidy, and no one elses. Would it not follow then that its your plot and the council entering it and grass cutting are assuming responsibilty.

I would get some photos of the area, showing your plot, what you have done etc..any boundary markers or fences..anything that shows where your plot is and finally the damage done, tire tracks etc etc and now mangled greenhouse.

Then go and cause merry hell, and dont take no for an answer...compensation or replacement are the only options for them.

Yes, I would be very angry and you have every right to be!

Steve...:)

9. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Is there a contract regarding the upkeep of the allotment? For example some clause that states that the council reserve the right to cut it back or whatever if it is left to grow out of control?

If not I cannot see how they can possibly run all over someone elses plot and get away with it. They'd be on your case quick enough if you ripped out a council hedge!

In my experience of dealing with the council it depends who you talk to as to what kind of response you get. I called three times recently regarding a hedge outside our house, which is our only path to access the house, and it was so overgrown you couldn't walk down it, full of brambles and roses, not ideal for children. Two were very helpful, if a little slow getting the work actioned, the third told me there was no hedge there at all!!!??? So I simply ended the call and phoned up again and went through a different department. Sneaky, but they were there in an hour!

I would most definitely contact them and tell them that someone has mistakenly run over your plot while cutting the adjoining one, and have broken your greenhouse, which was awaiting building. (I'd always go for the nicely nicely approach first.) If it looks like they aren't taking you seriously then get more angry. Most council contractors are pretty harsh in their approach to repairs, I don't think 'careful and conscientious' are very often used to describe their groundsmen!!

There are a million reasons that you might not have been able to cut the grass down yet, and none which warrant them to do what they did. Sometimes we have serious things to deal with which come before a bit of overgrown grass. Personally I wouldn't even mention that it was overgrown until (if) they do.

10. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for you comments.

I spoke to the council today and explained the situation.

To cut a long story short it wasnt the usual tractor driver as he was busy. He was only ment to cut the paths but got carried away... They were very sorry and have agreed to pay something towards my loss.

So well done Southampton City Council..... One happy plot holder again :D

Adam

11. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Excellent news. Make sure you hassle them until you get what YOU feel is a suitable amount.

12. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    That's brilliant!! I bet you're pleased that you didn't have to fight for it.

13. Doogle

Doogle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good news. It's nice when 'bodies corporate' accept responsibility, not very common these days.

14. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Have to say the lady who looks after the allotments is excellent. Were lucky to have her i guess.

I'll let you know what the settelment is when i get it.

15. Adam Moran

Adam Moran Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to Sue today as she's been down to the allotment to have a look.

I'm left with a couple of options....

1: IF theres an old shed or greenhouse on a spare allotment i can have 1st dibs on it

2: If no shed is available i've been offered a free year on my plot ( £40 )

Was hoping for a bit more but thats my options.