1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I "bury" a shrub or replant it?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by MJA, Jan 12, 2019.

1. MJA

MJA Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm looking for advice about what to do with a flower bed whose level I need to raise.
    It's a bit tricky to describe but due to a new patio being built I now have a flower bed (with 3 shrubs in) which is too low and I want to raise the level by about 5-6 inches by addding some topsoil and compost. The three shrubs are a vibernum, a cottoneaster and a kerria (all about 4ft tall).
    My question is: is it ok to just add the topsoil which would effectively bury the lower 5 inches of these shrubs? Or should I lift them all and replant them? What do people think?

Many thanks for all suggestions.

2. PaulB3

PaulB3 Gardener

Professional Gardener
    Ratings:
    +327
    Hello MJA
    None of the genera you mention are particularly difficult ; they will simply generate new roots just below the soil level !
    Incidentally , welcome to the forum !

• Agree Agree x 1
    • MJA

MJA Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thank you!

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Much the same as PaulB. You couls perhaps have a go at pricing the shrubs up a bit, but as said you should be safe.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Hiya MJA :)

those shrubs are not too big to move and all 3 will transplant well at this time of year.

The right way is to replant and this is what I would do esp if they havent been in place for too long. Not good garden practise to simply pile up soil around plants....6" or so is quite a lot esp if you decide to mulch too.

Besides, you may value the opportunity to space them differently

Kerria suckers quite a lot.....usually along the surface of the soil. If you move this you will see these suckers and you can sever them and pot them up. Burying the roots could produce suckers all over the place :noidea:

So, for me, do the job properly MJA and replant :)

• Agree Agree x 1
        Last edited: Jan 14, 2019