1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Show and tell...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lolimac, Jul 9, 2019.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
    We don't have to rub names off as the wildlife seem quite happy to do it for us! We've tried all sorts of labelling pens but they rarely survive and most of the time it wouldn't help anyway as the blackbirds pull out all of the labels and move them around :doh:

2. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    I had this problem too, @shiney .

I now label my perennials with metal-stamped labels, tied to the main stem with wire. I bought a metal embossing kit, with letters, and an “expansion” set of numbers. Lengths of aluminium are bought, cut into 10cm lengths, with a hole drilled in one end. A hammer, an old chopping board and a lot of noise later, and I have a permanent label!

• Like Like x 2
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,339
      I don't find many lily beetles in my garden, perhaps I don't grow enough lilies. I find the odd one on the snakeshead fritillaries early on and then some on the L henryi and L regale. Terminate on sight and the same goes for the larvae, but never many. Garden is quite breezy and the soil well drained and quite stony.
      As for labels the wildlife don't just get removed they disappear. I imagine nests made mainly of white labels.

• Funny Funny x 4
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,497
        We have one of these stamping guns with the reel of plastic strip that the gun embosses. We gave up with that as well! Apart from being too much of a hassle we found that those disappeared too. We actually saw a squirrel removing some of them :rolleyespink:

With most of our plants we know what they are but now never bother about which particular version they are. :noidea: Some of the plants are named after the people that gave them to us, which the people like, but we have an ulterior motive - when it dies we know who to go to ask for another one :heehee:. They now do the same with us.

We still get through 2,000 white plastic labels each year for the plants that we sell. Writing out labels ready for Open Day is very tedious :phew: