1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOW US YOUR PURCHASES 2020

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,233
    That's what I thought! Was half-expecting ungrafted cuttings, which wouldn't fuss me as grafted roses sucker horribly here. So...Lady Salisbury, James Galway, Lady of Megginch, Olivia Rose, Pr. Alexandra of Kent, St Swithun, The Ancient Mariner and an outsider, Sandra Renaissance.
    Here's a link...All available roses

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
      Ratings:
      +10,941
      79478A79-109F-4695-A6C0-2A48F9B89BEA.png

Just had these arrive... 1 x 2door and 1 x 3 door. Thought they'd be good on my raised beds on the lotty. Going to build them up inside and work out how we can secure them firmly to the raised beds so they can't blow away.

• Like Like x 5
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Bought another 18 x 1L Weck jars for pasteurising (AKA Canning) our harvest/foraged stuff.

Amazon sent them without any padding or fragile labels, so amazed only one jar got broken, but they refunded the cost of the 6 pack it was in.

We now have enough jars to preserve enough stuff that would otherwise occupy one of our freezers.

Currently preserving apples to make apple cakes [1], hopefully cherries again in June, then tomatoes, then more apples when there's still some left after I get fed up pressing them.

Too many people seem to be using preserving jars as decorative jars for displaying bits and pieces these days, rather than use them for their intended purpose.

IMG_20201231_163630465.jpg

[1] Still using Chapiti flour bought in 10 Kg sacks at a fraction of the cost of normal stuff, plus Mrs Scrungee had the foresight to buy 2 Kg of baking powder at the very beginning of lockdown, before the price went up 5 fold.

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
          Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,604
          I've never seen jars like that @Scrungee ! Those look amazing. I've picked up some apples and I'm going to make "Dutch Apple Pie" jam. And maybe an apple pie.

I also bought some grapefruits as I am now working my way through the last jar of grapefruit marmalade and brekkie wouldn't be nice without it :)

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          They're made in Germany, but appear to be mainly targeted at the North American market as their handbook uses US cups and US pints.

The metal clips are removed after processing and the lids are held in place by the vacuum created when pasteurising. If the seal is broken or spoilage organisms become active (producing gasses), the tab on the seal (normally held pressed down by the lid) will flip upwards, indicating the contents aren't safe to consume.

• Like Like x 2
            Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,203
            • Like Like x 1
            Thread Status:
            Not open for further replies.