1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOW US YOUR RECENT PURCHASES 2018

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    You can plant them in the trough now, Jack,just make sure that they don't get waterlogged and have good drainage. I gave some to a friend last January and she potted them up in a large container. When I visited her again later in the year she rushed me around to her back garden to show me the Irises blooming.......one happy lady!!:snorky:

• Like Like x 4
    • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,414
      61FA4295-ADFA-44A2-86E0-F9865D5DB565.jpeg 4D6BA9E3-7E7A-4A54-9EBC-D1C13D9D1EB3.jpeg

I was also given this. I’m not sure what it is I’ve actually got. The instructions on the packet are totally irrelevant as it is the same generic packet as the irises. If anybody can advise me I will be most appreciative.

G.

• Like Like x 3
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Commonly kniwn as "Red Hot Pokers".......

"Kniphofia

Colourful and exotic-looking, red-hot pokers flower over many months and make spectacular garden plants. They do well in coastal gardens and can be very long-lived.

[​IMG]Quick facts
        Common name Red-hot poker
        Latin name Kniphofia
        Group Perennial
        Flowering time March to November
        Planting time March and April
        Height and spread 20-210cm (8in to 6½ft) and 20-100cm (8in to 3ft)
        Aspect Sun
        Hardiness Hardy to half-hardy
        Difficulty Easy

Cultivation notes
        Red-hot pokers make rewarding and often long-lived garden plants. Their distinctively-shaped blooms are among the most spectacular of hardy flowers, and their long season means that by careful plant choice gardeners can enjoy them between spring and late autumn.

Recent breeding work means there is a larger range and improved colours available to gardeners, with smaller habits and neater foliage. Colours range from red and orange through yellow to green and even brown and pink.

Planting in borders and containers
        Kniphofias are generally easy to grow given the right conditions. For optimum performance choose a spot in full sun with fertile, well-drained soil that isn’t too wet over winter. Smaller, narrow-leaved cultivars such as ‘Bees' Sunset’ are easier to combine with other plants than the larger sorts, and grow well in pots and containers.

Aftercare
        To help keep your red-hot pokers healthy;

• Tidy plants in mid spring
        • Water container-grown plants regularly over the summer
        • Deadhead after flowering

Overwintering
        Leave the plants alone until mid-spring as the old growth will protect the crown of the plant. Once the weather has begun to warm up, any dead or untidy-looking foliage can be pulled away – this will provide the opportunity to check for slugs and snails which can damage developing flowerheads and young growth. Rosettes of more tender species can be protected with fleece duing cold periods in winter.

Propagation
        Although some modern seed mixes have been developed that will flower from seed in their first year, for the sake of speed pokers are generally purchased as pot-grown plants. They can easily be propagated by divisionin spring – this is the only way to increase named cultivars as they do not come true from seed.

Cultivar selection
        Heights given are the flowering spikes, which are always taller than the foliage.

‘Bees' Sunset’ AGM (syn. ‘Shining Sceptre’) - incredibly colourful poker with orange flowerheads that fade to yellow as they age, borne on handsome bronze stems. Height 70-130cm

Kniphofia caulescens – one of the most striking species with beautiful, glaucous grey leaves and coral pink to orange red buds that open to creamy-yellow flowers. Used to great effect in the Dry Garden at Hyde Hall. Height to 90cm (3ft)

‘Elvira’ – this cultivar has the useful attribute of producing sterile flowers, so they don’t turn brown before they fall off, giving it a much ‘cleaner’ look than some of the others. Flowers are pure orange and continue from July until the first frosts. Height 60-100cm (2-3ft)

K. northiae AGM – the best poker for foliage – its agave-like rosettes lend an exotic touch. Much hardier than it looks. Height up to 170cm (70in)

K. rooperi AGM – unmistakable round flowerheads of orange, red and yellow. Although it blooms in winter in its native habitat, forms in cultivation including ‘Maxima Globosa’ flower in September and October in the northern hemisphere – making them valuable in the autumn garden. Height 60-155cm (2-5ft).

‘Tawny King’ – chosen by Christopher Whitehouse, author of Kniphofia - the complete guide, as his favourite cultivated poker. Tall and dramatic with bronze stems and flowers that change from dark, smouldering orange though apricot to creamy white. Unusual and remarkable. Height 90-130cm (3-4ft)

K. thomsonii var. thomsonii 'Stern's Trip' AGM – an unusual poker with delicate, widely-spaced flowers. These start dark red-orange and become brighter in colour as they open. Not reliably hardy outdoors in the UK, except in mild areas. Height 90-140cm. (3-4½ft)"

• Like Like x 3
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
          +5,414
          I know it’s a red hot poker. I want to know what’s in the bag. How do I plant it.

G.

• Funny Funny x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            :heehee::loll::lunapic 130165696578242 5: Easy, Rhizomes!!......you can pot them up in a container, or in the borders, in March. Plant them 3 to 4 inches deep where, ideally, they'll get full Sun. Don't cut them back once they've finished flowering but wait until they've turned brown.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 2
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
              +5,414
              Is there any benefit to putting it/them (how many will there be in a packet?) in a pot? I already have an idea where it might go in the garden. I will need to wait until after all my spring bulbs have done their thing so as not to disturb them. If potting it up would start it off I would happily do that and wait until the autumn to plant it out.

G.

• Like Like x 2
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                You can either put them in a reasonably size pot in, say, a group of 3, or in the ground. They do look better in the border in groups of 3 or 5. If you want to pot them on now and then later plant them in the borders then it's not a problem.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  I stopped by LIDL's today and bought 4 x trays of 10 Primroses at £2.99 for a tray, they gave me a discount of 98p so they actually cost me£10.98 for all 40 of them. I also bought two pots of 3 Hyacinths in a pot for £1.69p per pot to back up the ones I already have in the Kitchen. I've already got another two trays of 6 Primroses in the Green House, and probably the same number in pots outside by the Gable End of the House...........so I'll be busy once the weather turns warmer enough for proper gardening outside.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 9
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2018
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    Every year I buy around 30 pots of Tete a tete from some Market Trader friends to plant in the surrounds of where my Wife rests to celebrate Spring which she loved with a passion. So, today, I went into Nantwich and found the pots ready for me but while I was there I noticed they had some good quality Hamamelis [ yellow and red]. I've always wanted to have at least one in the borders but never got around to it for some reason. Anyway, I bought the red variety "Rubin" from them
                    [​IMG]

at a discounted price and then later phoned them up to ask them to get me another one [yellow variety] when they're in Nantwich again, next Thursday,as a birthday present for a friend.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 8
                    • Friendly Friendly x 2
                    • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +4,092
                      IMG_0663.JPG A little pot of hyacinth

• Like Like x 8
                      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                        Ratings:
                        +118,396
                        I've not seen the red variety of Witch Hazel before :blue thumb: We just have the yellow and it's looking very good at the moment. We have it alongside a path so that we can get the scent as well. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
                          Ratings:
                          +6,899
                          My packet of Yellow Rattle seeds arrived yesterday. Along with my other packets of seeds I'm hoping to make a small meadow.

• Like Like x 3
                          • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
                            +1,731
                            This is not a purchase - it is a rescue! A neighbour had put this handsome cordyline (isn't it?) out for the bin men this morning. (There was a smaller second one too but that looked pretty unhealthy.) It's about 4 1/2 feet high and with a rootball almost as big as the tub trug it's standing in. Fortunately I do have a nice big pot it can go in, for the time being at least. Eventually it might end up in the border.... :spinning:
                            005.JPG

• Like Like x 7
                              Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
                            • Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
                              +957
                              It's a nice height and colour Clare, you can always underplant it in a border too. It'll look great

• Agree Agree x 2
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                                +0
                                @ARMANDII I had two of these beautiful plants but the one winter wrecked them..so that was another bin job:gaah:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.