1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOW US YOUR RECENT PURCHASES 2018

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
    +10,302
    I just went and fetched them Clare my wifes ok never moaned :) the lady broke one getting a plant out :frown:, so ive only ended up with three all in all i just need to decide what acers i am putting in them :)
    DSC_0122.JPG

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Very smart design on them Martin...never saw any like that at the garden centres I've brought pots from and they should really look lovely mate [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,731
        So pleased you went and got the pots @martin-f . They are just lovely, and even with one having got broken those three together make a fine set! I wonder when and where they were made. Tried doing a bit of googling but couldn't come up with anything - I guess identifying whether the characters are Chinese or Japanese would be a start....

• Like Like x 2
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Petemz

Petemz Gardener

Ratings:
          +114
          I recently bought two hydrangea in two separate pots, for five pounds. Got them home to find that there are actually two different types in each pot. So four flowers for a fiver, well chuffed !:hapfeet:

• Like Like x 5
          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Hi @Petemz :sign0016: to GC mate and nice to have you with us.:)

You've done well there for £5 and finding you have four in total nice one...I also have four that are thickening out lovely and I noticed today flower buds are forming [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2018
            • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
              +10,302
              Thank you Clare, ive searched and searched but cant find any the same/remotely similar i cant see anything on the pots, someone might look in and recognise them/tell us what the writing says if anything some of it looks like little men to me ?.
              dfdfdfdfdfd.PNG

• Like Like x 2
              • Informative Informative x 2
              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Martin I mentioned i'd never seen pots like them before mate..they're really nice and very unusual :love30:

• Like Like x 1
                • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Well today hubby took me up to Bridgnorth to the 3 garden centres :hapydancsmil: I brought 6 plants and to Multi purpose composts...5 plants for the back and one for in the front garden between my two Salix's.

Front Garden plant

SDC15376.JPG

Five back garden plants

SDC15367.JPG

SDC15369.JPG

SDC15371.JPG

SDC15372.JPG

SDC15373.JPG

• Like Like x 8
                  • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +52,552
                    I haven't visited this thread for a long while. :doh:

Today I bought a few plants for my garden in progress. I'll repeat myself again by saying I wasn't going to have roses in this garden but.....

…...four Rugosa's 'Alba'. That now makes four with another three roses to follow later in the year.

IMG_4996.JPG

I'm experimenting with plants to see what will survive up here - so one of each.

Heuchera
                    IMG_4997.JPG

Glumicalyx 'Flanagannii' This caught my eye for front of bed. Cuttings take well apparently.
                    IMG_4999.JPG

IMG_5001.JPG

Chiastophyllum 'Oppositifolium' The nursery owner pulled these out of his own flower bed wall and gave them to me free of charge as he didn't have any potted up for sale. About a dozen little plants there.
                    IMG_5003.JPG

The same plant in my last garden, and although tiny they have a big name, give a big display and multiply well. One of my favourites. :)
                    Chiastophyllum Oppositifolium.JPG

• Like Like x 10
                    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      Sheal I see what you mean that's really nice mate and yellow is a good stunner for any garden it stands out a mile :love30:...how your having to experiment with plants and survival we did it here plus having the dog at the time being male he also helped kill many off :dunno:

@JWK as helped me and we've found out my garden is acid soil :fingers crossed: with what plants hold well :phew:

• Like Like x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +52,552
                        I need to bring some colour into this garden Gail as everything apart from the surrounding wild Broom (currently flowering) is green. I have to experiment not only with the climate but with the soil here. I've gardened on clay and sandy soil before but not on sandy loam which I have here.

John is a great gardener and has a lot of knowledge. His advice is always spot on. :)

• Like Like x 2
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                          +0
                          Sheal I don't know if this bit of info would help you on plants best suited to sandy loam...off to :snooze: mate :)

Ideal Plants for Sandy Soil
                          Of course, the best way to growing in sandy soil is still in planting sand-loving or dry condition-tolerant plants. Here’s a list:

• Trees: eastern white pine and red cedars.
                          • Common shrubs: Japenese barberry, Siberian pea shrub, flowering quince, gray dogwood, common smoke tree, and privets.
                          • Ornamental vines: trumpet vine, Oriental and American bittersweet, winter creeper, trumpet and Hall’s Japanese honeysuckle, and hardy grapes.
                          • Blooms: blanket flower, California poppy, cleome, crape myrtle, and lavender.
                          • Other plants: artemisia, euphorbia, oregano, perennial flax, Russian sage, Rosemary, thyme, and tulip.

• Like Like x 2
                          • Informative Informative x 1
                          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +52,552
                            Thank you Gail but most of these aren't suitable for one reason or another. :)

• Like Like x 1
                            • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
                              +1,731
                              Did you look at the underneath of the pots @martin-f? Sometimes there is a maker's mark... otherwise yes the best place to start would be by identifying the writing. It does look to me like Chinese or Japanese but it could also as you say just be motifs made up for decoration, perhaps by a European maker.

If you want to follow it up, do you have a local auction house/ museum/ oriental antiques place you could ask? Or failing that you could always send photos to one of the big auction houses, or the V&A. They remind me of the kind of big decorative glazed pots that Victorians liked to place in their conservatories. Some of those were imported - I have seen big Chinese ones with dragons - others were made in the UK but with oriental motifs. My best guess is that your pots are more recent than that, probably mid-twentieth century, and Japanese. But it is only a guess....

[Disclaimer: I used to be a V&A curator myself but pots were not my area of expertise!]

• Like Like x 1
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                                +0
                                Sheal I do hope you find plants that will suite it and to your own liking :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.