Shredder for smaller, lighter garden waste?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by ChilliPepper, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Poly Hive

Poly Hive Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +72
    We are finding that burning is getting more and more frowned on in the UK. Anyway the bees don't much like it.

PH

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,361
      Well I used to burn, but it's getting more of a problem to find enough space to burn without damaging surrounding plant life.
      I've got a green council bin but to be honest you cant get much in that and they only collect it once every two two weeks, what good is that? And I pay extra for it.

so looking at a shredder.
      "Which" seems to like Bosch, but they also some out good on a Makita one which is cheaper.

I'm not really that bothered how fine it chops stuff, not really interested in a container to catch the stuff? If it just chucks it out on the ground that would be fine.
      But I want one that doesn't deafen me and doesn't clog every few minutes.

Been looking at this, but it looks a bit iffy, bearing in mind it states it has two hand holds for when in use, does this mean the thing jumps around all over the place when in use?
      And you have to hold it down, also not keen on it having a container for the chippings, but I guess you can just get rid of that.
      Makita UD2500/2 2500 W 45 mm 240 V Electric Shredder: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +13,962
      I've had a Bosch electric shredder for donkey's years but mainly use it here for reducing the old arundo donax canes to a coarse mulching material. If you alternate green waste with woodier material, the rotating crusher types work well but otherwise, Loofah's suggestion sounds good to me......

• Informative Informative x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,361
        The kind of stuff I'm thinking of would not be possible to run a lawnmower over, its mostly woody and up to 1.5 inches or so in diameter.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +13,962
        I thought ChilliPepper and PolyHive were looking to chop fine and green waste?