1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Slow and steady - Beginner :-)

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by PJA190, Jan 23, 2022.

1. PJA190

PJA190 Gardener

Ratings:
    +33
    So - Just as way of an update - Not much as happened. Work. MS Teams Call and repeat! :-(

I found some disused brick in the garden, so I have 'cornered off' the, er. Corner section - I think it looks a bit nicer?

In respect of plants, what will be, will be now. I've lost the will on that area.

One of the Hydrangea I will move!! - Next on my list :-)

Next on the list
    1. Take apart and put back together the 'rockery area' - Make it look a little more modern
    2. Remove and level the stones near the , now cut back dogwood'
    3. Sort the massive hedge
    4. Repair the children shed - this was there when we moved in - given we want children, I thought I'd be a nice little project to restore it
    5. Loads of other stuff!
    6. Clean the patio
    7. Cut the grass

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
      Last edited: May 7, 2022
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +611
      Hi you say what will be, will be now. I've lost the will on that area.
      Well you see some plant and you think hey it go great up that corner a gardener never really loses the will so you really have nt lost it so far you done great

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • PJA190

PJA190 Gardener

Ratings:
        +33
        So - come back from two weeks holiday
        The garden = WILD!!!!
        Spent ages cutting the grass

Plus side , loads of flowers coming through
        Down side , we appear to have a huge weed problem - I think the weed is called ‘euphorbia peplus’ (petty surge)

what I don’t know, is if it’s something we have actually planted? We went a bit mad on ‘wild grass tubs/bombs etc

is this something we have ‘accidentally introduced to the garden’

as it’s in the two places we ‘planted’ the most wild grass seeds

or - is this a good thing? Will it flower etc??

[​IMG]
        [​IMG]
        [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2022
      • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
        Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
        Ratings:
        +6,780
        According to the RHS site, it will flower. Be aware that the sap is an irritant.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • PJA190

PJA190 Gardener

Ratings:
          +33
          Maybe we purposely planted it then - Winner ;-)

Last edited: May 27, 2022
        • Tara Jane

Tara Jane Gardener

upholsterer
          Ratings:
          +140
          Hello. ‘I had a corner’ dry and only gets the sun for a few hours. I planted Euphorbia (purple something) helibores and hostas last year and I do try to Chuck some water on it from time to time. Having been a weed pit, it looks like this this year! The euphorbia have taken off the most but their flowers are lovely and I pick them for the house all the time and they just Chuck out more flowers Good luck!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
          • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
            Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
            Ratings:
            +6,780
            Looks good. Really like the low wall. I have nothing like that around beds.

• Like Like x 3
            • PJA190

PJA190 Gardener

Ratings:
              +33
              Few updates
              1. Bought a bench - SUPER COMFY! - Need to fix the fence above
              [​IMG]

2. I removed the massive bush near the bird feeder - Re using the branches/twigs to create a natural fence/bug hotel (behind the fence in the corner is a compost bin) - Just going to place a few posts in and fill with twigs and branches.
              3. I made a start with a hedge trimmer - I am going to get someone in - It's far too tall and just out of control. If I get it to a more manageable height and width, it'll be miles better
              [​IMG]

4. This corner is pretty wild - But has interesting plants and flowers. It brings me joy (bar ALL THE WEEDS*)
              5. Some foxes have kindly created some tunnels in the garden. At least I have an escape route if I need one.....
              [​IMG]Untitled

6. Not sure what the plant is with the pinky heads, but I quite like them, and they have been a surprise :-)
              [​IMG]Untitled

*So...WEEDS!!!!! ARGHHHHHH we have - I think it's called - Hedge bindweed - Whatever it is. Everywhere. And strangles everything. So annoying

7. This little guys loves the garden :-)
              [​IMG]Untitled

In a way - Not much has changed since we moved into the house a year ago. I've learnt a lot. Like, don't buy expensive plants from fancy garden shops!

Don't visit Gardeners World Live at the NEC - I've been to more friendly/calmer football matches

• Like Like x 4
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,489
                Your garden's come on well PJA190 and the grasses look good along the wall. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
                • PJA190

PJA190 Gardener

Ratings:
                  +33
                  Talking about life getting in the way!
                  I recently started a new job, and any potential spare time has somehow disappeared. So grand plans for the garden have fallen by the wayside.

The biggest problem I have now is weeds in the garden.
                  These are the 'two' I have rampant throughout. Not sure if they are the same. The top one I 'think is ground elder? The other, no idea. But it's everywhere :-(

[​IMG]
                  [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the top right, I've started to make a 'natural fence out of last years buddleja! - I just need to chop the tops off the uprights to ensure they are all the same height. The idea/thinking was to have a little area for the bugs/wildlife and hide the compost bin at the same time!

[​IMG]

No change over here. Planted a load of bulbs, and it'll be interesting to see what if anything grows!

The stoney area, is overrun with weeds. Not sure what to do there?

[​IMG]

The pink/purple wendy house - My wife said she'll be taking an axe to it next time I'm away! - I'd like to replace it with a summer house. The worry is the ivy will collapse once I move the wendy house?

And I need to buy a pressure washer to clean the patio slabs!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
                    Last edited: May 1, 2023
                  • PJA190

PJA190 Gardener

Ratings:
                    +33
                    OK - So - nothing has happened in the garden of note since May 2023. Work/life, etc. I've planted plenty of bulbs. Some have flowered; most haven't :-(

One of the issues I have is I find it a bit overwhelming. I feel like, 'where do I start?' to improve things.

Area A) The hedge - It's becoming more and more overgrown with ivy. Do I bite the bullet and take the hedge down? I gave it a trim yesterday (I couldn't reach the top!), and wondered if I could 'lift it up' – i.e., rather than the hedge starting so close to the ground, trim the bottom? Just to tidy it up? And I need to replace the wooden borders, as they are in disrepair.

Area B) The 'natural fence' – I made this from a buddleia, hoping to create a wildlife/bug area. It needs tidying up. There is a red robin and a compost bin behind the fence.

Area C) Bare Soil – In front of the hedge is a bare area of soil that gets zero sun.

Area D) Playhouse –It's in disrepair on the outside, rotten in places. Do I get rid of it/replace it? One issue is the ivy rests on the top!

Area E) Nightmare Area – Nothing of note grows here. (The spikes are there because next door's cat uses it as a loo :-()
                    There is a healthy-looking red robin, but I've no idea what to do. I found some disused slabs to the rear of the playhouse – can I create something with them?

Area F) Dogwood and Blossom Tree – This area isn't so bad, but the stone looks a bit rubbish, the black plastic sheeting is poking through, and the border is sitting on top of the grass. (My wife hates the dogwood).

Area G) Rockery

Area J) Pear Tree and Other Plants – This has a pear tree, hydrangea, a rose, and a really tall plant. No idea what it is, but it's done really well! Elsewhere, it's just bare soil. I've planted loads, and it always looks a bit rubbish.

Where do I start?! Slide1.JPG Slide2.JPG Slide3.JPG Slide4.JPG Slide5.JPG Slide6.JPG Slide7.JPG Slide8.JPG

• OwdPotter

OwdPotter Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +278
                    First thing I would do is cut the lawn. Always help make the garden look much better and gives you a motivational lift.
                    Next. Is your Dogwood established? If so then that needs pruning back now. Cut back to about 0.15m
                    Personally, I like Ivy for hedging and would not remove it. It's evergreen and good for wildlife. Obviously, your choice as you will of course need to get on top of it to keep it trimmed.
                    That should get you going...
                    I'll have a think about the other questions, as I'm sure others will too.

ETA. it's a nice space you have there

• Like Like x 1
                    • PJA190

PJA190 Gardener

Ratings:
                      +33
                      Thank you :-)

The lawn, on my to do list for this week :-)
                      And I'll prune back the dogwood. Yes, it's proper established!

• Wannabe

Wannabe Gardener

Ratings:
                      +25
                      Just found this thread after an absence from this wonderful forum! I love the new format of labelling the area I don’t think I’ll ever be clever enough to move away from pen and paper! In the summer those beds looked amazing

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Panda2

Panda2 Apprentice Gardener

Office
                        Ratings:
                        +14

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
                          Last edited: Mar 28, 2024