1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Small Garden Project

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by 2nd_bassoon, Jan 10, 2017.

1. 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    That's what's confusing me - it's a very fast leak, the water recedes within minutes, so I had assumed it would be pretty much pouring through somewhere. But I can't find anything obvious around the level the water settles too. I hadn't thought of removing the liner to look for gaps though, that's a good shout, thanks @Sheal.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,573
      Another thought @2nd_bassoon. If it's a fast leak and is at the base of the liner there's a possibility that the water that has gone through the hole is saturating the soil underneath, creating back up and stopping the rest from draining away.

• 2nd_bassoon

Vet
      Ratings:
      +1,840
      Starting to look more and more like a garden! Another B&Q trip has resulted in a few more additions:

2017-04-02 14.48.08.jpg

I'm starting to think properly about what is going where. I've got a fair few seedlings on the go now, plus a few plugs settling in, and the dahlias quietly cooking in their pots:

2017-04-02 17.47.05.jpg

Cosmos, lavender, zinnia, rudbeckia, sunflowers, lupins, to name but a few. Basically I got a little carried away at the thought of actual garden space and bought any seeds I liked. Made the rookie error of buying more sunlovers than shady options given the garden is pretty much half and half so space will be interesting but I'm sure it'll work out!

The chicken bed is the easiest, it gets full sun for most of the day, and anything in it has to be quite low lying. I've scattered poached egg seeds along it and may transder a few alipines if they recuperate sufficently from the Devon-Bristol relocation trauma.

2017-04-02 17.46.52.jpg

Top corner also gets good sun for most of the day. My 50p bargain primroses are at the front and there're the stumps of two Mystery Roses, one against the red wall and one against the grey - time will tell with those. Dahlias will go in here, and probably cosmos? Not sure how they'll look together but I want both to get full sun advantage.

2017-04-02 17.46.45.jpg

Back stretch is a mix, the more left side gets some sun but it gets progressively shadier towards the right. There's another rose here and I've added some snowdrops for next spring but otherwise it's empty thus far.

2017-04-02 17.46.38.jpg
      Back right corner is pretty much full shade, other than the very front edge where the daisy-like plant is (purchased today and already forgotten the name :redface:). Suggestions on shade-loving medium to tall plants welcome!

2017-04-02 17.46.33.jpg

This bed, the other side of the concrete slab, is another mix - bits of it are full sun, bits are dappled shade due to the tree to the right, and the back against the wall is full shade. I *think* it's a crocosmia at the back right, and I've put a diosma just infront of that (may have to relocate that at some point but I just wanted to get something evergreen in). I've got freesia bulbs in the sunniest parts and nemophila and linum seeds scattered in the dappled bit but again would like something taller for the back.

2017-04-02 17.46.23.jpg
      The front bed gets good sun, though for not quite as long as the area around the hens. There are anemones around the rose to the left and a scattering of poppy and cornflower seeds in the main bed. The stump behind the large daisy (names are really not my strong point) is the giant buddleia I cut back a couple of months ago; I'm a bit nervous I was too harsh to it, but we'll see. Zinnias and rubbeckias will probably slot in here too.

2017-04-02 17.46.57.jpg

Made two new friends today as well. Other half decided to tackle the lean-to/shed (you can just see the door to the right of the above picture). I won't go in there due to the enormous, albeit deserted and collapsed, wasp nest. He found some useful bits and pieces in there from tenants gone by - nice pair of secateurs, plant supports and ties, etc. And a newt who appeared to be living in the drain pipe, now relocated to pond edge. And this fellow:

2017-04-02 18.00.41.jpg

Home as yet undecided!

• Like Like x 4
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,573
        You've certainly been busy! I'd risk a couple of Lupins in shade, they can always be moved at the end of the season if they don't thrive. I had some in a bed that only had an hour of sun in the morning and they were okay. Heathers (Erica) will be happy in shade and if you pick a couple of winter ones they will brighten the area later in the year. White will stand out better than the pinks and purples. An Azalea also flowered well in the same bed.

• 2nd_bassoon

Vet
        Ratings:
        +1,840
        Day off today was unexpectedly active. Browing facebook over lunch yesterday when an ad popped up from a guy selling 15m2 turf for £5, dug up on Sunday to makeway for his own project. So today was spent digging up...

2017-04-04 13.32.42.jpg

...turning/tillering...

2017-04-04 14.29.54.jpg

...levelling...

2017-04-04 14.46.01.jpg
        2017-04-04 15.16.44.jpg

...and finally laying.

2017-04-04 16.22.12.jpg
        It's not perfect, the downside to buying someone else's turf rather than retail is that it's a bit longer than it probably should be. But for £5 I'm more than willing to give it a shot. Not sure my back will ever forgive me - initial plan was to spend Easter weekend leisurely prepping/laying, with other half to help. Doing the whole thing on my own in a day was unintentional. And turf is heavy; for some reason that hadn't occured to me.

Worth it for the end result though - morning:

2017-04-04 11.00.52.jpg

Evening:

2017-04-04 18.01.04.jpg

I'm off to Birmingham tomorrow for a 4 day conference with work. Other half has been left with Very Strict watering/feeding instructions for all fauna and flora. We'll see how that goes!

• Like Like x 4
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
          Ratings:
          +6,899
          :wow: You have worked so hard and what amazing results. You must be feeling very proud of what you've achieved:). Your garden is going to be so pretty :yay:

If you do decide to replace the pond liner it might be worth asking on Freecycle as sometimes people have left overs from a larger project. Or maybe Ebay.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • 2nd_bassoon

Vet
            Ratings:
            +1,840
            Well the turf seems to have taken :) No yellow patches and it's already growing well, will need to invest in a mower soon.

Starting to plant up the borders again - there are a few roses/small shrubs pre-existing, and some bulbs are finally beginning to work their way up, but on the whole the beds are all still quite empty. I've got a a fair few annuals and perennials waiting to go out but what I'd really like to add are some evergreens/more permenant residents. I've got dahlias for the sunny side and hostas for the shade but there won't be much evidence of either of those come winter, and I don't want to strip back to completely bare soil all round again.

Can anyone suggest any moderately sized shrubs/evergreens? Nothing that will get too overwhelming in a small space, and ideally ones that do ok in shade. I have an unfounded dislike of hydragas unfortunately - they make me think off old people's homes for some reason. I love ribes and ceanothus but suspect size and sun will be an issue :sad:

• Like Like x 2
            • 2nd_bassoon

Vet
              Ratings:
              +1,840
              And the pond saga continues...followed @Sheal's excellent idea and lifted the whole liner out today. Discovered three slow worms and a newt living underneath it - thankfully the chickens are still in confinement while the turf settles in (I'm hoping they don't hear that AI restrictions were completely lifted last Thursday :chicken: )

Laid the liner flat and cleaned the whole thing off with a hose, to find...absoloutly nothing :wallbanging: Not a hole, not a crack, not a split. I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Assume it must be a tiny weakness/deficit somewhere, but it drains so quickly I was sure it was going to be something obvious.

Throwing in the towel at this point and sourcing a new liner. Only need about 9ftX6ft which goes for <£20 online, so not the end of the world by any means. Other half is keen to widen the narrow channel in the midde too, and create another shelf for planting. I want to put a spitter on the edge to give it a bit of motion/noise, so might be a compromise on that one.

Hole spotting:
              2017-04-16 18.15.36.jpg

Water lily in temporary accomodation:
              2017-04-16 18.15.38.jpg

It's a big pit.
              2017-04-16 18.15.51.jpg

About 4ft at the deepest part where the lily was sat - slow worms congregated down there. Snake pit as an alternative to the pond was considered but ultimately discarded. 2017-04-16 18.15.58.jpg

• Like Like x 3
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,573
                Well that's really strange, there's got to be a hole in it somewhere. :scratch: Anyway, you've cut your losses and decided to go for a new liner, probably a good idea in the long run. :)

Another good idea, plants will soon grow and spread taking up the water quickly particularly in the summer months.

• 2nd_bassoon

Vet
                Ratings:
                +1,840
                I'm assuming at this point it's a tiny split or weakness that I'm just not seeing. It's currently laid out to dry overnight for one last hunt tomorrow; if not then I'll repurpose it to cover the beds until plants are ready. There's already a part of me that can't face the idea of watching it fill and then empty yet again....

• Like Like x 1
                • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +52,573
                  It could be it's just become porous with age so a good idea to make use of it elsewhere.

I agree, there's no point in fighting against a lost cause. :)

• 2nd_bassoon

Vet
                  Ratings:
                  +1,840
                  Guys. Guys!

2017-04-23 15.41.52.jpg 2017-04-23 15.42.17.jpg 2017-04-23 17.38.51.jpg

It looks huge now it actually fills fully. We ended up laying a new liner, and took advantage of that to widen the narrow middle channel a bit. Need to figure out the solar panal for the duck spitter, it's a bit tempremental with positioning, but otherwise now just a matter of waiting for the plants to grow in :biggrin:

• Like Like x 5
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • 2nd_bassoon

Vet
                    Ratings:
                    +1,840
                    (Please ignore the empty can of Tesco own brand lager in the background. I was topping up the slug traps I swear...)

• Funny Funny x 3
                    • Philcw1984

Philcw1984 Gardener

Ratings:
                      +31
                      Looks great, we'll done!

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +52,573
                        You've been working hard and what a difference, great job 2nd_bassoon! :dbgrtmb: I bet you're checking the water level every day. :) I like the ducks too.

Are you sure you didn't test the lager before using it? :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1