Snork's Garden Redesign Project

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Snorky85, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,845
    Any idea what I could plant in these? They are on a shady wall....though it does get a bit of sun in the morning. Id tried trailing heucheras in them but i dont think the pots are big enough and i didnt water them enough (oops)...and they attract vine weevil.

9878C25C-D10F-4812-BA28-0E3BB426E50D.jpeg E3B8FCED-6A15-4A96-AA4B-C1DFEF634E70.jpeg

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    I can understand heucheras struggling there Snorky. :) I guess you used mpc too.....I find mpc is a big attraction for vine weevils. John innes is better all round.
    Ophiopogon nigrescens might be worth considering...black against the red brickwork.
    Although enjoying sunshine echeverias might grow there too.
    Arabis ferdinandi coburgi Old Gold too.....evergreen or semi evergreen, neat cushions tending to slowly cascade and white flowers in spring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
      Ratings:
      +10,845
      @Verdun Actually i used john innes no 3 ....followed your recommendation after posting on here after a bad attack of vine weevils in some big troughs of heucheras I had. I also have to use vine weevil killer as they came back. V annoying.

Thanks for those recommendations....going to google them now :)

• Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
      Ratings:
      +10,845
      Ooh I’ve already got some ophiophogon nigrascens that I could use....infact it used to be in some pots down that side and they grew really well.

However...i love the arabis ferdinandicoburgi!

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      At this time of year a product like Provado will deal with heucheras. I regularly check heucheras here by tugging at them....if they lift they have been attacked by VW larvae. I then dig them up, wash them thoroughly, pull apart and pot up using fresh compost. I also delve into the soil where heicheras were and dig out around the old rootball space. The excavated soil is spread out on a plastic bag for the birds to feast on.
      Touch wood.....I havent had much of a VW problem over the past few years so something is working!:)
      In pots, apart from JI, I mulch heavily with grit:)
      A nice combi too Snorky....the variegated arabis and ophiopogon ....in a terracotta pot(?)

• Like Like x 1
      • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
        Ratings:
        +10,845
        Ha ha, yes, that’s what I did when the troughs were full of them...let the birds eat them all. I chucked a couple in for the fish too and they enjoyed them! Id even tried a few doses of nematodes but they didnt work either. I managed to save a lot of heucheras by washing them like you have done, split them and replanted in JI3 and used the grit.

I like the sound of that combo!

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +117,288
        That big list of plants that @Verdun gave you is good and we have a lot of them. The only thing to bear in mind that they are likely to flower quite a bit later for you than they do for him. :noidea: We have heavy clay (well composted) and a similar climate to you and a lot of those plants :blue thumb:

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
          Ratings:
          +10,845
          Brilliant, thanks for that info @shiney Yep we’re very similar on the climate aren’t we! I will have to see what youve got for sale at shiney land hee hee.

Ooh it’s just reminded me my grandma gave me a Wiegeila(?!?) cutting that she had grown for me and its in a pot. (I remember seeing it at shineyland and thinking how great it was-think it was near your back door?!). I need to find the right location to plant that.

I’ve also got a small sambucus in a pot that I bought last year that needs planting out and need to plant that too.

• Like Like x 1
            Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +117,288
            We have a lot of different Weigelias, dark green leaves with either light red or dark red flowers (both near the back door). A lot of different variegated ones with lesser or greater variegations and ranging from dark pink through to an almost whitish pink. They love our type of soil :blue thumb: and can be left to grow big, kept smaller and shaped or, with the ones near the back door, trained as standards. The standards take time as you need to remove the lower branches and leave just one main stem. We used to prune ours to a ball shape on top but don't think we've got round to it for a couple of years.

Re sarcoccoca:- if you're travelling this way you can have loads of cuttings as our bushes are quite big. You can stop for lunch as well :blue thumb:

• Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
            Ratings:
            +10,845
            Aww thanks @shiney that’s so kind. I was thinking of organising a trip over to norfolk way (geneaology related trip) so could maybe detour your way on the return trip. :)

Today i need to keep digging up plants from the front where the new hedging is going...weather seems grey but “mild” and not to windy so good for getting on with it.

There’s some sort of deciduous tree in the border that needs to come out and going to remove that big round bent conifer on the left side of the back garden and plant the “unknown” tree in its place.

• shiney

Ratings:
            +117,288
            Just let us know when you're doing it and if we're around you'd be very welcome. :blue thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
              Ratings:
              +10,845
              So just been playing about with photoshop to see what we should do with the sunny side border. (before and after pics attached :snorky:)

I've got a big hebe in the front that is coming into the back so thought that could go where the old pond bit is. Thought I could plant my black sambucus at the back as it supposedly grows quickly and tall. And the clematis armandii in the top part of the raised bed

Do you think the sambucus will be ok there?

Any thoughts on putting the hebe there or should I use the front part for smaller plants/perennials instead?
              image2.jpeg Garden design.jpg

• Like Like x 4
              • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +13,960
                Hi Snorky! What is the Clematis going to cling to? You'll need strong wires or something. Being evergreen, armandii gets heavy. You'll probably need to get up close and personal to it as well, initially, to tie it in to it's supports.
                That spot looks good for the Hebe. It might suffer a bit being moved in winter, so you can kill two clay pigeons with one stone and prune it in Spring to tidy it up and reduce it's size if you need to.
                The Sambucus gets enormous if left unpruned. It does cope with hard pruning, though, either yearly or every other year.

• Like Like x 2
                • Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +2,879
                  Lots of work going on, looking good :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                    Ratings:
                    +10,845
                    Hi! Yes I will need to put some wires up for it. I've got one already on the fence near the koi pond and it is massive....another task I need to tackle. But it looks so good and smells lovely....so worth the hassle.

Unfortunately I'm having to move the hebe as really need to get the hedge in at the front as really want to block out the horrid neighbours (theyre complete nut cases). I'd pruned the hebe back during the summer and it grew back lovely and is still actually flowering now.

• Friendly Friendly x 1