1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Snork's Garden Redesign Project

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Snorky85, Feb 5, 2018.

1. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,236
    Thought you'd have it sorted :):blue thumb:
    If you've got some horticultural fleece, it might be worth covering the Hebe if the weather turns icy or windy. It's always the evergreens that suffer most!
    Do you like Cistus? They're useful flowering evergreens, mostly low-growing, ideal for mid/front of sunny borders. IME they don't mind clay.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
      Ratings:
      +10,944
      Ah that’s a good idea about the fleece. I did wonder if there was anything I could do to make the move less “painful”.

Ooh yes I do like cistus-might have to treat myself to one :snorky: good idea!:spinning: Thank you!

• Like Like x 2
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        A couple of thoughts Snorky
        many hebes do not, in my experience, move well esp the larger varieties. Hit and miss and they often struggle for some time after moving too so????
        The sambucas is not necessarily a large shrub......for me it is far better pruned annually thereby making it a medium size plant. Foliage is vastly improved too. Even better when trimmed or pinched back a couple of times during the summer making it even more compact and colourful.
        Clematis Armandii is an extremely vigorous climber.....you will need robust supports, trellis is unsuitable I think, and plenty of room. Here I have allocated a section of wall 12' x 8' for it, but it far exceeds this height wise. Also supported by galvanised wires and screw eyes. Worth considering this aspect. It could very easily take over this area.
        I also feel you need to be aware of creating some monotony there....a line of shrubs can appear static, woody and samey??? For this reason not moving the hebe could be an asset. Just because you have an available shrub doesn't mean you have to use it!:noidea:
        Have you considered a foliage combination of sambucas and eucalyptus Gunnii?....there is a newer more compact variety called France Bleu incidentally......a blue/purple/black association is one I have used now and then to good effect. The eucalyptus is best treated exactly the same way as the sambucas, viz., pruned annually
        Some "movement" and variety by using a tall grass would add a lot to that space too....plus the sound of grasses; a sort of whispering sound, subtle but enchanting. I once planted a group of miscanthus for someone and the sound, even on a still day, was amazing from late summer through to mid winter.
        I would use perennials in the foreground too instead of even more shrubs again to forestall the woody shrubby look
        As I said, just a couple of thoughts :)

• Like Like x 2
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
          Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
        • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
          Ratings:
          +10,944
          Ah so I can keep the sambucas small eh? I'd prefer that and in that case I am going to put it in the middle level of the raised beds then as I've got ophiopogon nigrascens in the bottom section - so the black will tie in nicely.

Just wondering, is there anything that could look good trailing over the sides of the raised beds? I've got a lot of lysmachia but I've found in full sun it doesn't look as good as when it grows in the shade.

• Like Like x 1
          • Creative Creative x 1
          • Verdun

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Trailing in full sun and free draining soil?
            Osteospermums, (Tresco purple and Cannington Roy are the hardiest) , heliantheumums (the very best I think are the Wisley varieties, viz., W. Pink and W. Primrose...lovely grey foliage but colours from white through to red) hardy geraniums like Elke, convolvulous cneorum ( wonderful silver foliage and brilliant white flowers), aubretia, alyssum (the perennial yellow sort), arabis (perennial) thymus Pink Posie (a silver grey mounding then cascading thyme with pink flowers) campanula birch hybrid, lithodora heavenly blue are all excellent :)

• Useful Useful x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,227
              They tend to thrive on our clay soil. There are lots of varieties.

We've found that the green leafed variety tends to produce more flower and grows a bit quicker than the variegated, but the variegated looks better when there are no flowers.

Unfortunately this green leafed one suddenly died last winter :sad:
              P1330645.JPG

This variegated one has the part missing on the front as we had cut it back as it encroaches on the driveway.
              P1330652.JPG

The variegated without flowers
              P1330233.JPG

• Like Like x 2
              • Useful Useful x 2
              • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                Ratings:
                +10,944
                Ah I remember you reporting on it’s death @shiney I will def have to treat myself. Either for the front or back.

Great options from you @Verdun thanks-was googling them last night.

I also looked up a couple of bits...phormium -I love them but I know they are not hardy. Saw a black/silver type - "Platt's Black". I was wondering if I could plant it in a pot and just take that out over wint? Or just fleece it I guess?

Also Artemisia Powis Castle Buy wormwood Artemisia 'Powis Castle': Delivery by Waitrose Garden in association with Crocus

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
                • Verdun

Ratings:
                  +17,487
                  Snorky, phormiums are prob hardier than generally supposed. :)
                  As pointed out previously, it is a lot milder down here and phormiums survive without any protection but, yes, you could fleece them if grown in pots during very cold nights. No, dont pull out over winter...they wont thank you for moving them in autumn/winter
                  I grow them as complete contrast to (your already mentioned) artemisia Powys Castle and other plants like convolvulous cneorum and plants with yellow foliage....a bright red variety called Dazzler is superb. Bronze Baby is another, more black, and very suitable for containers.
                  A big factor in determining hardiness is the soil so adding grit, maybe 20%, will help.
                  Other varieties I recommend and grow here are Sundowner (suoerb tall), Cream Delight (prob the very best pale yellow, at times looking white), Jester and Alison Jackman (unique olive/ green/red tints....wonderful)
                  Finally, phormiums divide very easily....they look better for it too. Simply pull apart in spring and pot up :)

• Useful Useful x 2
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
                    Ratings:
                    +2,369
                    The only time that we've lost phormiums was the 2010 winter when we lost just one. We have a number dotted around the garden and they look great all year round. We are in an exposed spot and don't bother with protection over winter

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Useful Useful x 1
                    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                      Ratings:
                      +10,944
                      Well that’s decided then-def getting some phormium :)

Another question....what could I do with this clematis (its a montana type)....the bottom half is obviously bare-do you think another type of clematis could be grown up the lower section? Say a later flowering type?
                      B36BE21E-B38A-45F4-A81E-224F229DA154.jpeg

• andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Ratings:
                      +2,369
                      I'm not a huge montana fan as it is a bit of a brute so I would take it out but that's just me.

Another clematis would grow through it if there is space between the existing roots.

Taylors clematis are a good site to get clematis ideas from as you can select height, colour, flowering time etc. Their plants are strong too, should you decide to buy one.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                        Ratings:
                        +10,944
                        Oh I couldn't take it out.....it is huge and grows all along the back of the fence. I love it!

I'll check out taylor's for sure.

• Like Like x 1
                        • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Ratings:
                          +2,369
                          My in-laws have them and they really like them too. Only problem is that they live at the bottom of our garden is invades our garden. I can see the attraction but its just not for me

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Verdun

Ratings:
                            +17,487
                            Love montanas......
                            They flower prolifically in spring and one or two are fragrant....one such here and two I have planted in my niece's new build too. They will rapidly fill an area and often are semi evergreen or evergreen. They take hard pruning withiut hardship.....pruned very hard they may not bloom again until the second spring. They do not succumb to wilt or suffer from any pest or disease in my experience.

So Snorky, cut back to suit your needs after flowering. No, dont plant another clematis in front of it...pruning will be a nightmare anyway
                            and look a little silly I think. Don't regard this familiar climber with contempt....it is a joy:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                              Ratings:
                              +10,944
                              Oh I love it....its just a shame a lot of it is behind the new building and around the back (although it does look fantastic from the driveway around the back. Maybe I could trail some of it to come down infront of the bare root bits instead.

Both mr snorks and myself love it - I was shocked that he actually suggested keeping it when we had the building work done! I was pleased about that!