1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Snork's Garden Redesign Project

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Snorky85, Feb 5, 2018.

1. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,611
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
      Ratings:
      +10,963
      Ah thank you. Still loads to do. The border needs topping up/mulching and there is still space from more plants (from shineyland). It will all look much better in a couple of years when some of the plants have grown. I got a lovely weigela - dark black/purple leaves and purple flowers. I'm having to be careful not to cram too much stuff in and remember it will all grow.

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      First time I’ve caught this thread. It looks great @Snorky85 :thumbsup: Love it. I noticed that shiney will have Miscanthus Zebrinus (Zebra grass) for sale at his do. Might be worth picking one up? (I noticed Miscanthus mentioned earlier in this thread)

• Informative Informative x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,457
        They certainly look good from August to October. We removed a bigger one than this and split it.
        When I say 'we' I mean we had to pay someone to dig it out as I'm too feeble to do it myself :old: :heehee:. The small pieces that we have potted will soon romp away.
        P1350458.JPG

• Like Like x 4
        • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
          Ratings:
          +10,963
          So, have just been looking into the zebra grass. I was going to get some after speaking to Freddy but then I've realised it is deciduous. Hmm. I'm trying to imagine what the spot will look like whilst it is the winter too.

Does anyone have any ideas of what evergreen plant could be planted with iris sibirica. I'm mindful of not having a bare patch over winter.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Zebra grass gets huge .....here it needs dividing every 3 or 4 years. As for looking good in winter, it does have a structural look with its dead flower heads for most of the winter. I grow a more compact form called Gold Bar:)
          If your drainage is good check out stipa gigantea....evergreen foliage and with rising flower stems to 8’ or more. This golden oat grass is a delight.....although very tall it is not voluminous in any way; a see through plant
          Helictotrichon is an evergreen grass ...lovely blue foliage much like festuca but bigger. Would associate well with iris Siberica too. Shorter but similar shape is Libertia taupo Sunset.....unique olive evergreen foliage with white flowers at this time of year.
          Depends on what form and shape you want there Snorky but phormiums will give you that spiky shape and are evergreen. Helleborus Orientalis too would create that winter effect .....you can select hellebore colour to contrast or complement the phormium.

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
            Ratings:
            +10,963
            Sorry, only just seen your reply @Verdun Thanks for the recommendations. I will be looking into it all this weekend :)

• Like Like x 1
            • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
              Ratings:
              +10,963
              So quite a big change to the pond area....and I am so pleased with it. I am going to put our outdoor corner seating and coffee table in this area. Going to have some phormium plants black growing in the channel left at the back. I also did a huge chop down of the Clematis Armandii as it had got so big and heavy and a lot of it was dead underneath the great pile it had become. If this one doesn't survive the attack on the root system when clearing the area then I will replant a new one.

Here are the piccies:

• Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
              Ratings:
              +10,963
              Before. A useless waterfall into the koi pond which basically would go green in the full sun and then the sludge would go into the pond making it filthy.
              IMG_0786 2.JPG

Our landscaper thought it was going to be rocks and soil. After taking off the first few rocks he came across a huge pile of concrete. An utter nightmare. Took way longer than he had hoped and had to use a heavy duty breaker tool....there was a lot of rubble being taken away!

So this is very nearly finished...got a step to do at the back and tidy up the sides. Then of course it is my turn to do the planting.

I'm so shocked at the huge space that there is now. I'm going to enjoy sitting up here, surrounded by a few pretty pots and a different view of the garden. I do think we might have to put up a bit of a barrier around the koi pond as I wouldn't want to fall in after a few G&T's!
              After:
              IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG

IMG_1042.JPG

• Like Like x 6
                Last edited: May 30, 2019
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,457
                I agree :thumbsup: although the Stipa can lose some of its vigour after some years. It looks good in a sunny spot. Although evergreen it looks rather inconspicuous when not in flower.

P1390848.JPG

• Like Like x 2
                • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                  +17,487
                  Ok, here stipa gigantea is not prominent during the winter.....then Dogwoods take the position there. In spring the dogwoods are cut down and the stipa takes over. Currently it is over 5’ and claiming the territory.:) (Will take a picture later). I also have another from division a couple of years back (itself a metre plus tall) that will be planted out when I have decided in the “perfect” spot:)
                  It is a nice evergreen mound of foliage from autumn to early spring and then a magnificent sight during summer so well worth its inclusion in most gardens:) because of its lightness and see through quality it is a grass that can be planted in the foreground or middle ground too ...then it’s evergreen mound makes an attractive winter plant :)

• Like Like x 1