1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Soil Testing

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by CreakyJoints, Apr 2, 2016.

1. CreakyJoints

CreakyJoints Gardener

Ratings:
    +167
    I have a soil testing kit but have lost the instructions and can't remember how much of the powder and/or liquid I need to use. Can anyone help please ? :rolleyespink:

The kit I have is the 60 test kit from TestWest. It has little pots of powder AND little dropper bottles of liquid to test the PH, N, P and K. Do I use both and how much of each ? :scratch:

I need to test the PH of the soil in my front garden so that I know what I can plant there. Plants already there, thriving and flowering well every year are - a cherry laurel, a photinia "Red Robin", a buddleia davidii (lilac flowers), a holly, a pieris "Forest Flame" (flowering now), a eucalyptus gunnii, crocosmia "Lucifer", campanula persicifolia, a deep red peony, a clump of day lilies and some spring bulbs (snowdrop, crocus, daffodil).

I've tried, to see what happens, adding one scoop of the powder (ph test) and one drop of the liquid (ph test) to a test tube each of - A, white vinegar (turned red). B, tap water (turned yellowish green). C, lemon juice (turned red). D, bottled Scottish spring water ( turned green ). E, boiled tap water (turned lighter green than the bottled water) and F, distilled water (turned peachy/orange).
    I have brought in soil samples from my front garden but haven't tested it yet because I'm not sure how much of the ph testing powder or liquid I need to add :redface:

Photo 1 - A,white vinegar, B,tap water, C,lemon juice

20160402_212017[1].jpg

Photo 2 - D,bottled spring water, E,boiled tap water, F, distilled water (has been opened & kept in a cool dark cupboard).
    20160402_212026[1].jpg

Photo 3 - All 6 test tubes together.
    20160402_211955[1].jpg

Thanks in advance :)

2. nFrost

nFrost Head Gardener

Leachate Treatment Plant Manager
    Ratings:
    +2,908
  3. TMAK

TMAK Tommy

Environmental analyst
    Ratings:
    +217
    If you can't get the instructions at least you should have a vague idea on whether your soil is acidic or alkaline from what you have done. Red indicating very acidic (vinegar and lemon) yellow being slightly acidic(distilled) and green being neutral. I would do the same with an alkaline liquid and see what colour indicates alkaline. You could use a mix of water and bread soda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
    • CreakyJoints

CreakyJoints Gardener

Ratings:
      +167
      Thank you @TMAK , I'll do a control test of bicarbonate of soda for alkaline then :ThankYou: