1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

spent compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by wurzel, Apr 20, 2010.

1. wurzel

wurzel Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    what can be done with it,ive got a small garden so limited on spreading it all over garden.

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Wurzel

Whilst many will disagree with me. I re-use spent compost to repot plants. I will use new compost (just in case) for seeds and seedlings, then when I put plants in bigger pots I use old compost. However you do have to be sure it hasn't anything nasty in it like vine weevil. But I have never had compost I couldn't use again.

The main arguement against, is that new compost has feed in it and it will have been used up. But my view is that every time my fridge is empty, I buy more food not a new fridge. My understanding is that most composts have no nutritional value when first produced, and that the manufacturers have to add the feed. So why not do the same yourself. You will need to apply liquid feed like dissolved Miraclegro - but then you should be feeding your plants at intervals anyway.

I also add soil from the garden to my compost as well. It saves even more money - but I believe it is actually better to have some soil in it. This combination is sold as John Innes, for which you are chargerd an arm and a leg.

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I reuse compost, either on the borders or in larger pots when I am running short.

But somehow, I never seem to have too much and am always running out!