1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

SPENT MUSHROOM COMPOST

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by pheobe, Mar 10, 2013.

1. pheobe

pheobe Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +6
    Has anybody any info or thoughts on this compost. I've seen some as advertised as used once sterilized and recomposted before it leaves the farm it's sold as a soil conditioner although it also say's can be used to boost vegge's I wonder if it would be suitable for bag grown spuds.

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Acting on the recommendation of our Zigs, I bought a load of the stuff a couple of years or so ago because my back garden was just severely depleted, compacted, red clay. Even weeds struggled to grow in it.

I dug the mushroom compost in, and now I have a garden. The first year I did it I grew spuds in one patch that had been enriched. I've grown spuds many, many times before so I know what sort of yield to expect for different soil conditions. The ones in the mushroom compost genuinely blew me away. Per plant, it was the greatest yield I've ever seen, by a significant margin.

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Its great as a soil conditioner, although the mushrooms will have had a lot of the nutrients away its still better than not adding anything.

Don't think i've grown spuds in it, but I can't see why not,as it holds moisture well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      I used it once, bought a 'load'. As I recall, I had the best spuds ever:blue thumb: Note to self:Get some in!

• Like Like x 1
      • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
        Ratings:
        +3,035
        I had some a few years back and used it as a top dressing on the toms I was growing in big pots in the GH and also on the bed where I was growing my outdoor toms. Had a super crops of toms and also got a bonus of good few mushrooms.
        Don't know if sterilised mushroom compost would still produce mushrooms though.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Think they only sterilise it to stop the bottom falling out of the mushroom growing industry.

When I worked on the mushroom farm I had hundreds of them coming up between the crops.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,077
        I had a trailer load delivered once.
        Cant remember if it made much difference to the other plants but had a good crop of mushrooms in the autumn.
        Is it not said to be Alkaline?
        Spuds can get scab in alkaline soil?
        Just thinking aloud, dont use all compost add some soil.:)

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,508
        Pete, you could be right about the Alkaline thingy. Mine was added to open ground, and I can't say what the PH of the soil might have been. Hmm, the soil I have here is already Alkaline, think I'll give the Mushroom Compost a miss:blue thumb:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Basically, when it arrives at the farm its bags of hot (tesco's?) horse poo with innoculated barley in it.

We added a casing mixture of peat & lime (which cancel each other out ph wise)

It shouldn't be any difference from normal farmyard manure.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Hex_2011

Hex_2011 Gardener

Ratings:
          +134
          I worked on a mushroom farm for 5 years. Typically you`d get 5 or perhaps 6 flushes before the blocks were completely spent, at which point there really isnt much goodness left.
          The compost is steam sterilized before innoculation but not on the way out as its simply a waste product, we used to dump most of it on local farmers fields with a tractor and tipper trailer. The local gardeners couldnt cart away 40 tonnes a week :)

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          It wouldn't bother me to use it the once on alkaline soil that needed some heart adding - fastest way that I know of of doing that as manure etc. will take a few seasons of application (or you'll put so much on that the crops won't stand upright!!)

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,596
          I used to to break up severely compacted clay. Clay is awful for becoming compacted, but it holds nutrients really well. Perhaps it was the combination of nutritious but packed clay mixed with nice well structured mushroom compost that made my tatties do so well.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,077
          But isn't farmyard manure usually acidic, in much the same way as garden compost, where lime has not been added?

• Hex_2011

Hex_2011 Gardener

Ratings:
          +134
          The firms that made the mushroom compost blocks were pretty guarded about what went into them. The general consensus was a mixture of farmyard muck and river silt/mud amongst other stuff.