1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Spring bulbs to contrast bluebells

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jack Sparrow, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    It's that time of year when I am starting to think about planting spring bulbs. In May this year I transplanted some rogue bluebells into the area towards the back of the photo below.

20180509_123507.jpg
    This photo, according to the time stamp, was taken at 12.35. The light there is dappled at that time. It's possible that I might consider planting the traditional snowdrops, daffodils combinations, I have plenty to spread around, for early colour.

I was wondering whether I could plant late flowering, white tulips there to integrate amongst the bluebells. Any thought? Alternative suggestions would also be appreciated.

G.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Yes you could but do you also plan anything herbaceous ....hardy geraniums for example....or any other planting there or simply just a range of bulbs?
    Tall alliums like Purple Sensation could feature there too perhaps?

3. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    I have purple sensation elsewhere. I could consider a white variety of allium here. It would have much the same effect as I was suggesting. The timing would be about right too.

I still have to think what herbaceous plants to put at the back. I have to consider the fact the tree will get bigger in time. Eventually that area will be in permanent summer shade. The area to the front (and off camera) is being filled up slowly as I source new plants. At the moment they are all in pots where they will remain until I am happy with the arrangement of them.

G.

4. Verdun

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Ok. Sound thinking :)
    Personally, white alliums are not appealing.
    White daffodils maybe? Many are scented too. Arrange early, mid and late flowering varieties. Iris too, perhaps?
    Here I have early pale blue iris with daffodils that works quite nicely. I also grow a white iris....name escapes me for moment.....if you want more whites there:)

Just remembered....Mount Everest iris

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  5. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Have a look at Pheasant Eye Daffodils @Jack Sparrow. They are white apart from the eye, very late flowering, well after the majority of daffodils and they have a gorgeous scent. As you can see I have quite a few!
    I'd be more than happy to send you some if you'd like. All I'd ask for would be the postage. This photo was taken on 21st May but they presumably would flower a bit earlier with you being a good deal further south. Might suit.

010.JPG
    pes.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      I am at a bit of a loss here. My dear friends are suggesting this and that. Our friend has provided a photo of the area in question. The caption relates to spring bulbs along with Bluebells. I am wondering what exactly the author has in mind. Bluebells are generally considered as being wild plants, whereas, tulips and others are deemed as being cultivated plants/bulbs. Perhaps the author can open up his/her minds eye a bit more.
      To me,the mention of Bluebells conjours up visions of woodland scenes, bluebells, wood anemones and aconites. I wish I had space for such a planting.

When it comes to the more regular bulbs, daffs, tulips and the like. For the average garden, I consider these perhaps best subjected to pot/container growing. So much depends upon what exactly the gardener wants to achieve.

• Verdun

Ratings:
      +17,487
      I have pointed out in the past to the author this very fact, viz., bluebells are semi wild to wild plants; also that they are invasive and best suited to larger spaces.
      However, bluebells are coveted by regular gardeners too ...hence my own suggestions as to what best accompanies them. Remember too, the highly prized tulips, daffodils etc were themselves "wild" plants.:)

• Like Like x 1
      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        [QEspeciallyUOTE="Verdun, post: 1173073, member: 12450"]Remember too, the highly prized tulips, daffodils etc were themselves "wild" plants.:)[/QUOTE]
        Especially the daffodil variety I am recommending...actually they are correctly called Poets Narcissi I think. I wholeheartedly agree that native Bluebells are best suited to woodland and Spanish ones are only fit for the bin (I have 1000s which I loose a battle to get rid of yearly) However, each to their own and it would be a pretty sad state of affairs if everybody grew the same plants in their gardens. I personally dislike Phormiums and most variegated shrubs,I am right, hell no, but I'm not wrong either:)

• Like Like x 1
          Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
        • Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Love phormiums and variegated plants silu.:)
          Have all sorts of variegated perennials, grasses, shrubs....... Golden King Holly, variegated acers, eunymous, etc etc. :noidea: Many make the garden shine in winter:)

Got another variegated grass in the post this morning...lovely!

You are right though....its great we all grow different things, have different likes and dislikes but I can and do appreciate all sorts of gardens. For example, annuals are not really for me but I have seen some fantastic gardens built solely on summer annuals:)

• Agree Agree x 1