1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Spring in the garden. 2019 ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Petemz, Nov 14, 2018.

1. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,381
  2. andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
    Ratings:
    +2,369
    The biggest change next year will be more succulents in the garden. I am trying to find a place to put a 2m x 1m raised bed to fill with aeoniums, aloes, sedums and suchlike.

We have collected most of the plants throughout this year and hope to keep them over winter in the tunnel.

This year has been an expensive year for the garden with adding the specimen plants so next year shouldn't be as hard on the wallet.

I will be sowing some new (to our garden) seeds. Cleome, Lobelia Tupa and red iresene, along with a couple of varieties of echium although they will do nothing for a couple of years

• Like Like x 1
    • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      My garden is fairly new at 7 years old. It’s a converted farmyard and a lot of landscaping has been done so I ll mostly be watching it grow and mature. The Mediterranean garden and the pond area are the parts most grabbing my attention. A cistus died in the Med garden and I’ll be replacing it with agapanthus which I divided up a year or so ago. Also I’ve grown some California poppies which should do well there which I’ll plant out in spring. The prostrate rosemary is super and I may replace some of the straggly bush ones with that.

The pond area is really exciting now as anyone who reads my wildlife pond thread will know, with visits from a Kingfisher.

Most of my gardening is done with wildlife in mind so I’ll continue to let some wild areas be with limited intervention.

• Like Like x 2
      • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,414
        @Clare G My new additions last year also included kniphofia popsicle, lamium and crab apple. All are doing really well. By next spring the lamium should be big enough to split and spread. In a few years I should have enough to cover the whole border, and all from one sorry looking plant picked up in an autumn clearance sale.

What else I manage to do depends on budget. I still have some large areas that need digging out and replenishing. Ideally I would like to hire a skip to get rid of all the rubble etc and buy bulk bags of topsoil, bark chipping and compost. This would all have to be done over a weekend to stop the dogs from digging out under the fence. I also need a bulk supply of gravel. Some to tidy up the front drive and some for areas in the back I want to utilise better.

Otherwise, there are still bits and pieces I can potter with. So far my emphasis has been on the parts of the garden that are visible from the house. To this end I am happy in my progress. The rest of the jobs will happen when they happen.

G.

• Like Like x 1