1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting a Mediterranean garden in a small space

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SuzyW, Mar 7, 2014.

1. SuzyW

SuzyW Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have an l shaped built planting area which is 3m long each side but only about 50cm wide in terms of planting space. It is in a relatively sunny part of my east-west garden getting sunlight late morning for the rest of the day. I have always found it tricky to get the rightplants as there is a huge tree in the neighbours garden which sucks out moisture. Osteospernem and lavender have done well. Given it is dry and sunny I thought I might convert to a Mediterranean style. I have some agaves inputs and yuccas which will go in although I appreciate they may outgrow it. I also have some arums that I think will do well there
    Basically can someone advise what I should do to the soil eg what compost to condition it, do I need to add gravel as it will be fast draining anyway? Any suggestions for compact plants? Also I will put pots around the ares to give it a more court yard feel, any recommendations for compost for these plants or will multipurpose do? My agaves and yuccas seem ok so far with little special attention but I am not sure when I should pot them on to bigger pots.
    Any advice welcome, my normal source of advice (mam) is not used to this style so we are struggling. Thanks!