1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ste Catherine

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by noisette47, Nov 25, 2020.

1. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,405
    Today is the saint day of Ste Catherine, the patron saint of plants and gardeners :)
    All my elderly neighbours have solemnly assured me, for the last 15 years, that 'A la Ste Catherine, tout bois prend racine' which loosely translates as 'If you plant something on the 25th of November, you're guaranteed success'. Ha! According to the French garden forum I participate in, what the proverb actually says is 'If you plant something on the 25th November, it'll either die or grow'. That explains a lot! :roflol:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      And there I was thinking that we UK Gardeners were cynical.:dunno::heehee:

• Like Like x 2
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Similar to my gardening philosophy. When I plant something, I say to the straggly item, " you have two choices - live or die. Do not place any trust in me." :)

• Funny Funny x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • noisette47

Ratings:
          +14,405
          Shhhhh! :th scifD36: Rightly! How do you explain to Catholics that soil, climate and current conditions are a much more reliable guide? :biggrin: This is the first year I've been able to get a spade in the ground on 25th November! Not complaining, mind you .....and it's certainly true that spring plantings rarely succeed here.

• Like Like x 2
          • noisette47

Ratings:
            +14,405
            Oooo that's a bit harsh! I prepare the soil, make sure the roots are damp and well-surrounded by lovely, fluffy, nutritious soil. I stroke them, talk to them, stake, water and mulch them......then they die of drought or flooding 2 years later :roflol: ETA: No plants sent to me by lovely, generous GC members were harmed in the making of this...errr...post. They get special attention :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 3
            • Friendly Friendly x 1