1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

strawberries from seed

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by catztail, Sep 13, 2011.

1. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    I've been meaning to replace the strawberries that I had decimated by vine weevil but there was always something else I wanted so never got around to it. The other day at the garden center I picked up a couple of packets of seed for 50p each and thought I'd have a go that route. My questions are:
    Anyone grown them from seed before?
    When should I plant them? (packet says spring)
    Are they easy?
    Their are around 30 seeds total so I'm hoping to get 20 plants out of them. They are an ever bearing variety which I have not tried growing before. What I'm HOPING to get are several flushes of berries through summer and not a glut all at one time.
    Any help or advice is much appreciated!!

2. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I have tried myself to germinate some, but it never worked.

Established strawberry plants give easily life to new plants by means of the side growth so, unless you really want to see the plant developing from seed, I think it is more convenient to buy a few plants which will give you endless other plants. The same could be said for other plants, flowers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +865
      When I tried to grow them from seed, germination was very slow and erratic. Personally, as miraflores says, I wouldn't bother, the plants are so cheap and their runners will provide you with more plants, which will provide more runners, which will provide more plants ... ad infinitum.

• Like Like x 1
      • catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
        Ratings:
        +2,250
        Thank you ladies. I'll plant the seeds anyway and see what happens but most likely buy some plants next spring. The seeds were only a quid so no big loss if nothing happens.......