Struggling rhododendron, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by P4ul_17, May 9, 2020.

1. P4ul_17

P4ul_17 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I planted a couple of rhododendrons two years ago, but one side seems to have some sort of disease, with the leaves browning, like they’re burnt. Also, some of the buds have failed this year. They formed, but didn’t flower. Others flowered well, but again, they didn’t seem to last long. I feed with the correct feed regularly.

Any thoughts on what it is?
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Hiya. It can be heartbreaking when we see our plants going downhill. Indicators such as leaves suddenly droppng. Browning etc and a general expression from the plant. Uggghh!

Sorry but as much as I'd like to unravvel all of this. Leaves of plants tend to replicate so many human problems.

If I may. Try and think of yourself as your plant. Go on. Talk to yourself. Look at me. Just a week ago I strong viril, glossy foliage and loads of ne buds waiting to burst open. Now. I am limp. pathetic, where have those muscles gone?

First and foremost. Check if the plant is overdry, and rectify. AT NO POINT SHOULD YOU FEED THE PLANT. The plants vascular system may have gone into shutdown. So this suggests various ICU tests.

Make sure the plant is watered. Now give a thorough check over for dead, damage etc branches and cut out. Plants of course depend upon so much. Weather coditi0ons, climate etc. In all honesty. You have to become, Sherlock Holms. Keep in touch.

3. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,401
    @P4ul_17 Are both plants the same and are they in the ground? Have a look here Rhododendron diseases / RHS Gardening
    Huntingdon is a fairly dry part of the world so they will need watering over the summer to enable proper flower bud formation. Also the cold dry easterly winds will not help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1