Suffolk Colt Mower.

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Retired, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +5,790
    Hi,

This new plastic petrol tank doesn't sit well at all with me looking totally out of character; assuming I can get some time in the workshop I've been giving some thought to making either an aluminium or brass petrol tank just for fun.

My first thought was to buy aluminium sheet at 1.5mm thick; form a main tube of around 4" diameter then metal spin a pair of ends; then I thought there might be an easier way so I browsed eBay and was surprised to find 100mm aluminium tube readily available quite cheaply so I've just bought a length and requested one free cut at 200mm;

Aluminium Tube 4" / 100mm dia x 16swg - 995mm Long | eBay

I've already got in stock over 100 metal spinning discs. Now for the filler cap?

Weld on aluminium alloy filler neck & cap petrol oil header catch tank 38mm | eBay

What about a petrol tap;

Petrol Fuel Tank Tap Inline Filter On Off Switch Generator Pit Dirt Quad Bike 8727081780301 | eBay

I don't have an AC TIG welder at the moment although I'm hoping to buy one but in the meantime I can do a bit of aluminium brazing;

8 x ALUMINIUM BRAZING SOLDERING ROD LOW TEMP USE PROPANE DISSIMILAR METALS 220MM | eBay

I've been a bit fed up with problem after problem preventing me getting into the workshop so I think I need to dump all the problems and concentrate on what I would like to do; Bron obviously comes first because I love her to bits but I feel some workshop time is well overdue.

A brass tank would look the business but I'm unable to obtain 100mm brass or even copper tube so after a bit of thought I came up with this idea;

vintage pyrene fire extinguisher | eBay

I could easily modify one of these extinguishers adding a filler and tap; funds aren't a problem and I love doing something different. I hope this is of interest.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Retired

Retired.
      Ratings:
      +5,790
      Hi,

WOW; at last the weather has finally allowed me to use our driveway for spray painting; I was thinking I'll never finish spraying the grass box but it's now sprayed and looking much better than when I bought it.

Kind regards, Colin.

Grass box_001_02.JPG
      The Colt grass box as bought with the mower.

Grass box_002_02.JPG
      The biggest battle scars filled and sanded; before adding filler and having rubbed the box down it was treated with rust converter.

Grass box_003_01.JPG
      Whilst awaiting the day I could spray on the top coat of paint I painted the hard to spray areas using a brush; the box opening has a lip around it and I know from experience only spraying would leave a line unsprayed behind each lip.

Grass box_004_01.JPG

I still have the new Colt decal to attach but the painting is now finally completed much to my relief. The very cheap spray outfit I bought has been outstanding; I've only ever sprayed Cellulose but this morning I've sprayed machinery enamel; at first the paint was too thick but with a drop extra of Xylene thinners added the spray gun made a very nice job; a much better job than brush painting whilst being a great deal easier and quicker; the longest part was gun cleaning and even this wasn't too tedious; I didn't bother using the supplied viscosity cup to obtain correct paint viscosity; I simply poured paint into the gun cup not filling to half way then added thinners; a trial spray showed the paint to be still too thick so a drop more thinners were added and it was then perfect; with Cellulose I just mix 50/50 but with this enamel it sprayed with a thicker paint mix; when I bought the sprayer it was more out of interest just to play with after all what will £20 buy these days; this sprayer has done well with Cellulose primer and machinery enamel gloss.

• Retired

Retired.
      Ratings:
      +5,790
      Hi,

Just a new petrol tank still to make but the mower is now reunited with its grass box. I've enjoyed this project; it hasn't bankrupted me and unlike paying to booze or watch someone kick or knock a ball around I've got something to show for my money and have enjoyed myself.

Kind regards, Colin.

Grass box_002_03.JPG
      What a difference now from when I brought it home.

Grass box_005.JPG

It's been worth the time and effort and I've got something worthwhile at the end of it.

• Like Like x 3
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,310
        You've made a grand job of the Colt Retired despite the hiccups along the way and the decal on the box is the finishing touch. :dbgrtmb: I'll look forward to seeing the making of the new tank too. :)

• Like Like x 3
        • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
          Ratings:
          +5,368
          @Retired its looking good. As @Sheal wrote, I'm looking forward to seeing the petrol tank project, even if for some reason I like the look of the plastic one on it now.

• Like Like x 2
          • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,259
            Looks great, you just need to work on the grass now :rasp:

• Like Like x 1
            • Retired

Retired.
              Ratings:
              +5,790
              Hi,

Thanks Sheal; Sandy & Liz. :)

The aluminium tube arrived at dinnertime; the new tank filler neck and cap are here too, I initially intended to braze the tank together but Bron's generously bought me a new toy; Bron kindly offered to buy me anything for our 43rd wedding anniversary just over a week ago but there wasn't anything I needed or even wanted; my 72nd birthday is coming up back end of August so I settled on a nice TIG welder;

OK so I'm not cheap but we've not had an holiday away from home for over 40 years; we don't drink alcohol; don't smoke or are crackheads so time now to spend a bit.

I was taught arc & gas (oxy/acetylene) welding in 1964; since then I've not bothered with gas welding but I've done plenty of arc welding and I still own an industrial Oxford 180A oil cooled welder. I've known for many years about MIG and TIG welding but never tried these although I've often thought I'd like to have a go. The new petrol tank is a good starting project into TIG welding but I'm awaiting the welder to arrive; I also have to buy a bottle of Argon gas; a local company supplies assorted gasses; they charge a one off returnable deposit on the bottle; this company has lots of branches;

Hobbyweld | Argon

I'll shop around but I'm interested in the middle sized bottle with a deposit of £110; it would be pointless to buy the welder then keep running out of gas. A week tomorrow is Rufforth Auto Jumble once again; there is usually a guy in a big pick up loaded with gas bottles and on the stalls I can possibly buy aluminium welding rods. I'd also like to have a go at welding brass and stainless; the new TIG welder will open up an whole new world for me to play in; I've a feeling I'm in for another steep learning curve but welding isn't new to me.

Yesterday whilst browsing YouTube TIG tutorials I found a video showing just the petrol tank I have in mind;

I'd like to make my tank with rounded ends allowing me to do a bit more metal spinning but I'll proceed slowly and make the mistakes first; I like trying new things and I'm not scared of leaving my comfort zone. Keeping busy keeps me happy. For our anniversary I took Bron over to M&S in Pudsey for some well deserved retail therapy saying buy whatever you like.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 2
              • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                Ratings:
                +5,368
                You should be pleased with that welder. Did you get the foot control with it as well?

• Like Like x 1
                • Retired

Retired.
                  Ratings:
                  +5,790
                  Hi,

Thanks Sandy. I bought the welder at a very good price indeed from a young guy who had bought it but never used it; it's still under warranty; I'm pretty sure the foot control is included; the seller says there are lots of boxes and that he's going to send everything in one big well packed box; I'll confirm what arrives shortly.

I'm now looking for argon gas.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 3
                  • Retired

Retired.
                    Ratings:
                    +5,790
                    Hi,

Just a quick update, I've now got the welder in my workshop and no Sandy it doesn't have a foot pedal but at the price paid it's still a very good buy.

I've got a problem and tablets won't help; I simply can't get time in the workshop; I've just come down from the mountain wet with sweat feeling tired after another full session; last year I planted a row of sky rocket conifers and potentilla's at the top of the mountain; I've just moved a number of these with others still to move to a new location further down. I underestimated just how ballistic my new meadow would turn out to be; it was smothering the plants. I also cut the grass; I thought I was going to melt and I was surrounded by "Light sabers" it sounded like light sabers as the many flies took a real liking to me.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Informative Informative x 1
                    • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                      Ratings:
                      +5,368
                      @Retired As I know you are planning to weld thin aluminium, then I would suggest a good foot pedal. You will find that the heat needs to be constantly adjusted, and the pedal makes it far easier. Even if good hand/foot co-ordination is required.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Retired

Retired.
                        Ratings:
                        +5,790
                        Hi,

Many thanks Sandy for your useful information. Once I start to use the welder I'm sure I'll progress quickly; one things certain; any problems will be due to me not the welder. :scratch:

I joined a welding forum hence I've not spent much time here over the last few days; days are short when you're retired as I've found out.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Retired

Retired.
                          Ratings:
                          +5,790
                          Hi,

I've been diverted from the workshop mostly due to our gardens going ballistic but I've made good use of the time I have had in the workshop.

I've been gathering all the kit I need for TIG welding; Torch tungstens; collets & collet holders etc. This morning I'm about to collect a new welding helmet;

crystal2.0 - You won’t believe your eyes

At around £400 it's not cheap but then good quality kit doesn't come cheap.

I stated earlier I'd like my petrol tank to have domed ends involving metal spinning well the domed ends are now spun and a very nice tight friction fit just now needing welding once I've got the hang of TIG welding; I'll practice on scrap aluminium first not wishing to destroy the new tank after all the work put into it.

Kind regards, Colin.

Petrol tank_0001.JPG
                          Roughing out the wooden metal spinning former.

Petrol tank_0002.JPG
                          The new domed ends ready for welding; holes have been cut for the filler neck and tap.

Petrol tank_0003.JPG

Simple but useful mobile welding trolley.

• Like Like x 2
                          • Retired

Retired.
                            Ratings:
                            +5,790
                            Hi,

I never completed this now old thread so now being driven indoors by wind and heavy rain I can spend a bit of time to update.

Just for interest I made two aluminium petrol tanks; one to copy the original and the round one already shown ready for welding.

Metal spinning._0005_01.JPG
                            After making every mistake possible I finally got to grips with Tig welding aluminium; pure argon gas was costing a fortune so I opened a BOC account and found The Wakefield Welding Center who were absolutely brilliant to deal with; I collected my first BOC cylinder from TWWC then all I needed to do was to return the empty cylinder where it was scanned and I came away with a full cylinder; I then paid via the BOC account. MK 2 mower tank._0002_04.JPG
                            Here's a copy of the original petrol tank which I still have not wanting to part with it after all the expense and a great deal of time and effort in making it; I repaired the original steel tank by brazing to seal the leaks. I sold the mower shortly after restoring it having enjoyed the restoration; the new owner was absolutely delighted when he collected it. MK 2 mower tank._0002_05.JPG
                            Here are the original steel tank and the new aluminium tanks; a success story and now I'm pleased I can weld aluminium. I've since parted company with the Tig welder and closed the BOC account but what a huge learning curve Tig welding aluminium turned out to be.

Tig failures_0001.JPG
                            Tig welding aluminium sure is difficult; this is 4mm thick aluminium; the harder I tried the more frustrated I became but I'm stubborn. In all these two petrol tanks initially cost around £1,600 in equipment and gas but a lot was recouped when I sold the welder. Tig failures_0002.JPG
                            I really did struggle to learn Tig welding but I'm too thick to know when to quit and walk away; I was determined to succeed at Tig welding.

My current project is learning to play a violin and as usual trust me to select the most difficult stringed instrument to play; I knew it would be difficult because having just turned 74 my lovely wife generously bought me my first ever musical instrument but now I have three violins and a nice recording studio I've just kitted out; I'm making good but steady progress. I've already bought the correct but expensive wood from Poland; I plan to make a violin from scratch.

Now I've been driven indoors by heavy rain the sun is shining; I was out by 9 o'clock this morning because I'm trying to paint the two garden huts but the dire climate keeps tormenting me.

I'm pleased though to bring this thread up to date I hope it's of interest.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 2
                            • Informative Informative x 2