1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Temporary bed?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by roger06, May 22, 2009.

1. roger06

roger06 Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi

I've just removed an old hedge in (not bordering) our garden which has left an area about 2 m by 8 m.

Eventually we'll either patio or deck over it but not 'till next year at the earliest.

It's good soil (I think) which I'm digging over and adding manure. It's on the east side of the house so is sheltered and gets sun until early afternoon.

What would be your suggestion for doing something with it as a temp measure in the mean time?

I'd either like to add to colour or perhaps grow some veg or salad but have no clue how to go about either!!!

Thanks

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Row of Sweet peas? Plants available at your local garden centre. I bought some pots of just-germinated-seeds (plants about 3" tall) a week or two back, and with about 20 plants-per-pot they were cheaper than seeds of the same variety :thumb:

3. roger06

roger06 Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Kirsten

Are these quick to grow and easy to eat? ie will I need to split loads of pods to get at the peas? (sound really idle don't I?)

Roger

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Sweet peas are grown for the flowers, sorry! (And despite being called "Peas" their seeds are posenous :( )

I went for colour, rather than something to eat :)

5. roger06

roger06 Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    LOL !!! shows how much I know doesn't it !! told you I know nothing about gardening...

Glad I can laugh at myself...

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667