1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Pigeon Debate.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Capercaillie, May 8, 2005.

1. Capercaillie

Capercaillie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This subject matter is not for those who may be seen as 'tree huggers', it is a legitimate question and is not from some 'gun-weilding nutter'. I would be interested to hear from someone who is 'up-to-speed' on the law concerning the 'humane' culling of Feral Pigeons and Collared Doves (both of which are classed as pests by DEFRA). The problem with these birds (who eat large quantities of different crops and leaving behind an even larger amount of droppings)is very bad in this country area. DEFRA states, somewhere, that these pests can be culled by individuals, in the confines of their own garden, by means of a humane method e.g. an air rifle. A certain 'General' license is issued by them which means individuals are not required to obtain specific authority on a 'case-to-case' basis before action can be taken. Licensing of the air rifle is another issue altogether. I would also like to add that environmental organisations and-the-like (including DEFRA)advise members of the public not to feed theses birds as they are seen as 'flying rats'. Any constructive comments/guidance will be appreciated.

2. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  3. alan

alan Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    wood pigeon tastes good though

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Remember to spit the lead out though

5. Capercaillie

Ratings:
    +0
    Spot-on Bayleaf,

Just what I was after. Many thanks.

------------------------------
    SteveW,

You don't have any lead problems if you get them right between the eyes!

6. The Skiver

The Skiver Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You could always go for the natural method of pigeon control and take up falconry. Sakers are best, although a little messy - the pigeon often explodes upon impact.

Alternatively, if you are in the market for a long term and cost efficient solution, go for a european eagle owl. They last about 25 years and will happily live on a diet of pigeon and neighbours' cats [thereby solving another potential problem for the ardent gardener].

7. Capercaillie

Ratings:
    +0
    Just as a matter of interest Skiver, do you know much about Falconry. It's a subject i'm very interested in. I was amazed to find out that Hawks do not chase animals they 'fly after fur', and after a meal Hawks do not preen themselves but 'rejoice'. They do not drink but 'bowse'. They do not sleep but 'jenk'. Under King Edward III the stealing of a Hawk was punishable by death. Fascinating stuff. Any thoughts?

8. The Skiver

The Skiver Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I actually know more about owls, but I was aware of these things as I spend a bit of time at a place near Andover called the Hawk Conservancy.

In the Middle Ages you needed permission from the King to own a hawk as they were such efficient hunters. There is a famous case in contract law where the judge of the time [1714, I think] compares things of value and places a hawk above a horse or a robe.

We get the word 'mantelpiece' from the way that birds of prey fold their wings around a kill before eating it - known as mantelling.