1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The pain of moving house :(

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Carllennon, May 2, 2017.

1. Carllennon

Carllennon Gardener

Techie
    Ratings:
    +246
    Hi,

So my house is up for sale and I am going to buy with my partner.

I planted several raspberries last year and all are coming up nicely this year. But when i move, I want to take them with me. Can I actually do this if I move in say 2 months with the plants in full swing? I accept that I won't get much fruit if any this year, but They are really vibrant and growing well.
    They are in raised beds so should be relatively easy to get all the root out in one piece and put into a pot to transport.

Any thoughts? Or will the plants not survive being moved at that time of year?

Thanks
    C

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    Are they summer or autumn fruiting ?
    I would think autumn ones might be OK as they might not yet have sent up new shoots.
    Anyway if I were you I'd risk it anyway, just water really well and get as much roots as possible - they are very shallow rooted.

3. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Make sure your house purchaser knows which plants you are taking .

4. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Can you not dig up now and replant in big pots. Then they will be ready to take with you, when you go.

Rusty

5. Ian Taylor

Ian Taylor Total Gardener

Maintenance Manager, Oddfellows on the Park.
    Ratings:
    +2,751
    This is the problem I'm going to have next year, I well be telling any buyers what is in the sale when they come round to view, will be taking nearly all my clematis.
    What I'm doing now is if I buy anything now it goes in to a pot

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    If the raspberries were only planted last year I cant really see the point in moving them, the setback involved is unlikely to give you a head start on next year.

I'd be more inclined to just buy some more plants for the new place, perhaps pot grown, so that you can get them in this year.

• Agree Agree x 1