1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The Wheelchair Garden

Discussion in 'Gardening For People With Disabilities' started by IanArmour, Oct 3, 2011.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,167
    Is it 800lb per unit or for the 10 together? That is heavy, so yes it obviously does need to be substantially constructed. I would like to see any details you have of the gubbins inside. I think a short animation or a few simple cut-away drawings would help your web-site :dbgrtmb:

2. IanArmour

IanArmour Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    @ JWK

Thanks for the pointer, Yes 800lb each, that is at maximum capacity, the empty garden weighs 18lb... I will update my website and photos when I have a more explanatory image of the garden :)

3. Bloominggood

Bloominggood Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +26
    Welcome Ian
    Have to admire your determination.What a great floral result.The photos are wow!
    BG

• Like Like x 1
    • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,297
      "I have designed this new garden as there seems to be a need for a production garden specifically made and designed by those confined to a wheelchair. I would be grateful for any feedback you may have as I have recently launched my company."

Constructive cristisim
      You need a thin base on the bottom, for as your pictures show the grass below can not be cut, thus making the garden UNTIDY, a thin GRP base would not add too much to production

Observation
      A wheelchair user would not be able to reach the far side

If it is all automatic, WHAT IS THE POINT, may as well have window boxes on a tressle table and join the green circle project
      Green Circle Project Launches in Hampshire

You state can be arranged in a Circle of TEN, in which case the wheelchair access cut out would not be available ? as the access is at the inner shape of the circle?

I can not find your site, some previous poster mentioned the cost, which you explained well
      If it is expensive then I can not see the majority of pensioners or disabled public affording it
      So sales would be to Councils wishing to conform with the DSA laws and spend other peoples cash providing it

Sorry for my negative views
      Though perhaps you can enlighten me

Regards
      Jack McHammocklashing (coffin dodger)

• IanArmour

Ratings:
      +12
      Hi Jack,

Thanks for your comments. You can see the garden if you visit greecirclegarden "dot" com. There you can see the garden setup. Ofcourse a base or mat can be laid but during test over the whole of this summer on account of there being 4 feet which elevated the garden above floor level a strimmer has no problem in removing the surrounding grass leaving a sharp edge.

The garden cutout is so a wheel chair user can get up close to access the garden as much as possible. The wheelchair gardener would have to go around to touch the far side.

The "automatic" part of the garden is the auto-irrigation. This is because wheelchair gardeners find it difficult to lift a watering can high enough to water evenly.

Regarding the circle of ten units, it takes 12 to close the circle... so there is a 2.8m gap for wheelchair access. The garden is designed to be able to change its configuration e.g. S shape.

The costing is being revised as I am seeking and alternative manufacturer so I will post when I have some concrete info.

Hope that helps :)

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,297
      Yep that's fine, thanks for the time and explanation

Good luck in your venture

Jack McH

• IanArmour

Ratings:
      +12
      Hi Everybody!!

I've been looking into setting a cost for the green circle garden and I was keen on finding out what someone would be prepared to pay for such an article. As mentioned before the garden is hand made in Great Britain and would not be outsourced by China. The GC garden is a durable and quality made product with a lifetime guarantee. Your answers are much appreciated,

Thanks in advance :love30:

• Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
      +446
      Considering a plastic garden storage unit similar in size can set you back £160 I'd say you're immediately looking North of that figure considering you're getting a self contained garden unit with built in irrigation system and water retaining medium. It's a tough one but I can see them selling at £199 individually with the 10 units with free installation going in the region of £1800-£1900.

• Like Like x 1
      • Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
        Ratings:
        +1,337
        Can I ask why you won't outsource to China? as this would seem to me to be a huge cost save:scratch:

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        :scratch:Hmm good point Axl & Aesculus..... Ian, I would have thought that an awful lot of wheelchair bound people have to live off benefits so this type of garden would be out of the question at high prices & yet in itself it seems a perfect answer... Perhaps only for those with earnings or funds other than just benefits.. Plus of course I think allot of elderly would like this idea too.. Sometimes not allot of cash to spare.. Surely outsourcing it to China has to be a way of keeping your costs down & also break into the US market at the same time as they import big time from China as do all of us now!!
        Yes it would be fantastic to say it was British designed & made but not so realistic these days.... :(

• Like Like x 1
        • Aesculus

Cashier
          Ratings:
          +1,337
          I'd consider putting something similar to what apple put on their products:

• Like Like x 2
          • IanArmour

Ratings:
            +12
            Thanks for your prompt replies,

Aesculus: The reason for not outsourcing to China is that this is a British product :yess:

Following my meeting this morning with a "big" GRP manufacturer, I have been given a substantially lower quote, allowing each GC unit to retail at £450-£499. That would include plumbing (inlet, over flow, outlet)
            24* 1m Nylon Rope (1/2") Auto irrigating, uses rainwater to replenish water reservoir.
            Absorbent Mat (laid on tray on top of ropes)
            Geofabric template (water filter material)

I have been in touch with West Sussex County Council and Thrive who would like to test several garden units:D, if i were as lucky to get backing of some sought, alternative methods of manufacture would allow those who need them to have them, thats the whole point of this garden!!

• IanArmour

Ratings:
            +12
            I may have to reconsider outsourcing to China again, it just seems you are going to have no control... it might be copied and distributed by their many means... I do have IP protection but nothing is guaranteed these days...

• Aesculus

Cashier
            Ratings:
            +1,337
            I suppose that's a risk you have to take:gaagh: but as long as you have some kind of protection in the major markets (UK, Europe, US) even if you can't stop them ripping off your product you can at least stop them from selling it?:what:

Also £450 sounds a much nicer price point then what you originally had:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
            • IanArmour

Ratings:
              +12
              I'll have to look into it.

P.s the previous price was due to the fact that my first units required one man to hand lay up one garden unit per day!! now thats production :P