1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Them and Us

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by garjobo79, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
  2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    What's the problem?

I've posted an explanation of why plants you're seeking won't work and how sound waves travel so can't be obliterated.
    I've also expressed some sympathy for you in your plight and following on from someone who digressed and posted a not really serious suggestion that you played loud music, to how I could annoy my neighbours if I weren't considerate.
    I think between us we covered everything.

What's "one of those posters?"

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    @garjobo79 the only other thing I can think of would be to put some kind of soundproofing board against the fence and plant yourself some nice plants there and try and forget there is anyone next door.. Doghouse is right when he says the sound will come over the fence but soundproofing and nice plants might help you forget them a bit..! ;)
    What about something like this.? Forest Garden Decibel Noise Reduction 6ft Wooden Fence Panel | Internet Gardener

• Like Like x 1
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,616
      For heaven's sake, I'm not dense! I realize how sound travels but was only trying to suggest something to help muffle.

sheesh.... :noidea:

• Agree Agree x 3
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,046
        I think planting trees/ shrubs does stop noise to some extent, the problem is it needs to be pretty thick, by that I mean wide, if you look along urban motorways they often seem to use pretty solid close boarded fencing, often with trees and shrubs in front of the fence.

It is about having a suitable distance in which to plant a depth of greenery, and I dont think there is enough available space in this instance.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,046
          Yeah, just a bit above 700 mph I think.:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
          • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
            Ratings:
            +4,411

Actually my post wasn't directed at you and it wasn't your post I quoted, did you think it was?

No probs.

• CanadianLori

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,616
            You did quote my post so that is where you started the debate. Let's not run this into a full blown polemic. Enough!

• Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
            Ratings:
            +4,411
            Apologies, I looked at the post and saw @garjobo79 at the beginning so I assumed it wasn't yours.

Anyway I wasn't trying to suggest you personally didn't know how sound travels, if I were I would have said so.
            It was just my way of explaining to anyone that nothing anyone can do in the short term, which is what it's really all about, will make any significance to the noise level, no matter how much money they spend.

Some friends have a house 50 yds from the side of the end of a motorway spur road. Since they moved in, over twenty years ago, the forest that was planted between them and the road which must be fifty feet deep, has grown tall and really thick now. I asked them recently had it reduced the noise levels. They said it hadn't.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
          • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,616

So you say dense bush won't muffle the noise but the 90 feet between you and your neighbour is different. I'm three thousand miles away so at least I know I'm not bothering anyone :)

Ths is a good thread to remind us all to be mindful about our activities and try not to add to the noise pollution we cannot avoid. :)

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,095
              I noticed in Holland all along the motorway i used there was a perspex fence running along the road verge to protect the houses from the road noise. The tops of this fence were angled towards the road thus deflecting the sound back and away from the houses i presume ?

A simpler fix may be to create a water feature. A great way to mask the neighbours noises.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                Ratings:
                +4,411
                I use my jukeboxes mostly to supply "gardening music," so mostly, weekday afternoons. I can select a choice of records up to the total number of records in either carousel, so I just let them get on with it whilst I attend to what I'm doing. Use is the best form of "preventative maintenance" for fifty year-old machines.

As I said I don't play them loud. I've never had any complaints.
                Mind you, our nearest neighbours are in their late eighties and deaf.

• BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,765
                Build a Garden Rain Curtain and a Bamboo Wind Chime
                raincurtain.png

• Like Like x 5
                • BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,765
                  My pond pump filter return masks a lot of noise as it splashes back into the pool...the new waterfall will perhaps add to this a little...my wind-chime is another aspect..both are not overpowering and actually add to the atmosphere of the garden...feed the birds big hunks of bread (big hunks attract Big birds) they make a fair racket though hahahaha and they will crap all over the neighbours cars (and yours too for that matter)lol good luck and lets know how you get on. Info supplied from personal experience

• Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Well usually @garjobo79 I don't come on to messy discussion like yours as become because of your unfriendly attitude :nonofinger:

I know your issue is on replanting to block out your neighbours but that's not going to cure the issue :whistle:...unless you have a total rain forest and distance between properties :loll:

1. Knock your neighbours door properly and try and come to some arrangement..if not environmental health for noise.

2. Otherwise constantly wear ear plugs or headphones....such a simple solution.

This forum is a friendly one where members like to have a friendly joke besides giving sound advice...it's not for members to be firing targets especially @Doghouse Riley who helps members :)

• Like Like x 3
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2018