1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Thick algae on paving slabs!!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Val.., Oct 20, 2012.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Thanks Spruce :)

I do have it in my shopping cart on Amazon, but Costco is usually more reasonably priced, hence why I want to check there :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,951
      Thank you all SO much, WET & FORGET looks good stuff doesn't mention about pets though.
      If I don't do anything this year will the winter kill it off and then I can start afresh in the Spring?

Val

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,320

Hi Val

If we have a winter like two years ago with minus for days yes it will all be killed off, my patio looked like new afterwards but still had to hose it down to wash all the stuff off, have you ever noticed when you are brushing snow off the paths that it looks all gruby and green .

Spruce

• EddieJ

EddieJ gardener & Sculptor

Oak timber framer
      Ratings:
      +1,089
      May be not an option with animals being around, but I keep meaning to try lawn sand to see if that has any effect on green and slippery slabs.

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      The starchy water from boiling potaoes works quite well:dbgrtmb:get's rid of chicken muck anyway:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
      • Plant Potty

Plant Potty Gardener

Ratings:
        +120
        As has already been said more than once, BLEACH is the answer, my dog is a Jack Russell with a top wieght of all of about 7 kilos, if bleach was going to poison a dog it'd be one his size first, I've used bleach for years and as long as you're not stupid with it the dogs will be fine, I wet the area first, then pour neat bleach on and brush it around into a foam, leave 20 mins then wash off, keep the dogs off until it dries, then dont let them lay around on the area for 24hrs, let them out but just chase them off, the great thing with bleach is its bleaching action, it kills the green day one, but you will notice the whole area becoming whiter over the next four days or so :)

• Like Like x 2
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Just look at the price of W & F Val :hate-shocked: It is available on Ebay , but neat whiskey may be a cheaper option :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
          • merleworld

Ratings:
            +4,087
            Got some Wet & Forget from Costco for £19.06 including VAT :)

You supposedly should only need it once a year as it carries on working once applied. If it can save me having to jetwash my paving (one of my least favourite jobs) then it's deffo worth £20 of my money.

I'll report back once I've had the chance to use it on dry paving :blue thumb:

Link to the brochure/FAQ is here.

• Like Like x 1
            • merleworld

Ratings:
              +4,087
              I did a few test patches on Tuesday and wasn't expecting to see any improvement for a few weeks, but after one day I noticed a slight improvement and even in the dark just now I can see a real improvement (will post pics later if I get home before dark) :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2