1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Third year meadow.

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Retired, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +44,492
    Hi @Retired it's nice to see you posting again. Your meadow looked great but don't give up, you could do something different next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
      Ratings:
      +5,791
      Hi,

Many thanks Logan and thanks for your useful suggestion. :)

Unfortunately many of my activities aren't gardening related and I think rather too diverse for posting on this wonderful gardening forum; I obviously do plenty of gardening but my interests are more into engineering and all aspects of woodwork from furniture making to woodturning even metal spinning on the woodturning lathe; my current project I've just started is induction heating which I'm sure few members would be interested in so I've been spending time on another four forums with members of similar interests. I've just designed and successfully completed a brazing machine using a large commercial micro wave transformer; hardly the sort of thing I'd encourage anyone on a gardening forum to copy it being highly dangerous.

The main problem I have in retirement is lack of time and I'd love to have time to follow all the interesting threads and posts on this forum; I often feel mean by not doing so especially when so many members are very kind to me; I've been retired twenty years but still work as hard as ever; I'm sighing and ticking as I cool down wet with sweat after a gruelling hour at the top of the mountain rotavating so this kind of work is ideal for posting about. :phew:

Meadow 18 Aug 21_0001.JPG
      Summer here is a joke; I've just been working up the mountain with a cold breeze and drizzle for company; I was wrapped up against the weather but because of this I was also sweating due to the hard labour; I'm not complaining because so many around the world would love to be in my position especially the poor souls who have lost everything. Meadow 18 Aug 21_0002.JPG
      It's a nightmare trying to stand upright against the slope but if I put anything down it immediately wants to head to the valley bottom so you can guess just how difficult it is to rotavate when the rotavator also wants to head down the valley; I've tried rotavating both uphill and downhill too it's hard whichever way I work but at 73 I'm still fit and active and pleased I'm still capable of this hard graft. Next job is to rake over possibly after dinner when I'm fully charged and raring to get stuck into some work.

Induction heater_0002_01.JPG
      Definitely not gardening related but just one of my other interests. Here I'm making an enclosure from aluminium for the proposed induction heater. Induction heater_0003_01.JPG
      Arranging mountings for power supply; induction heater and relay with other components still to add. It keeps me busy and with something to show for my efforts.

For anyone interested I've included a short YouTube video which explains better than text what I'm currently making.

I've now received a reply email from Meadowmania saying lots of customers this year have suffered flattened meadows due to the heavy rain but not to read too much into it because it's been an exceptionally wet year; it's suggested I broadcast these seeds next month so I'll buy them in readiness;

Instant Sunshine Mini Wildflower Meadow

Normally I thoroughly prepare the ground in March and broadcast new seed but it's usually perishing up the mountain so having now already rotavated I'll broadcast the new seed in better weather conditions saving doing it next year. We have a side garden and I plan to create a very small meadow for my wife to enjoy; more work but well worth it.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
        Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
      • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
        Ratings:
        +44,492
        Retired That's a good video about what you're doing and very interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Retired

Retired.
          Ratings:
          +5,791
          Hi,

Thanks Logan; the video is excellent but not mine; I included it to demonstrate induction heating; my induction heater is work in progress. Full credit to the guy in the video. :)

Working machine_0001_01.JPG Here's the Micro wave brazing machine I designed and made here under construction; not for a novice it's too dangerous.
          TC tips_0006.JPG
          Tungsten carbide tips brazed onto tooling; these I did using a MAPP canister torch.
          Success_0004.JPG
          Here's the brazing machine on test fully working much to my delight. As I say though not really projects to post on a gardening forum but highly interesting to me.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 2
          • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
            Ratings:
            +44,492
            Hi Colin
            It doesn't have to be about gardening on the off topic threads and DIY which I think it comes under, it's great what you are doing and it keeps you busy and what you like doing.
            Logan

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,541
              Retired I was going to suggest leaving the meadow plot alone now having strimmed it, to see if flowers appeared next year from fallen seed. But it looks as if you've started rotavating it already.

• Agree Agree x 3
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Retired

Retired.
                Ratings:
                +5,791
                Hi,

Thanks Logan; I do post quite a few of my projects but find putting a thread together including pictures is time consuming so tend to post on relevant forums where there's more interest from like minded souls who can often exchange ideas and information; gardening topics though I post on here. How to design and make a petrol tank sender unit potentiometer for examply wouldn't quite fit in here or how to make "vintage" capacitors. I just have so many diverse hobbies and interests so I'm never bored. :dbgrtmb:

Thanks Sheal for your suggestion. Meadowmania who sell these wildflower seeds do advise cutting down to about 4" tall once the season is over; the annuals come up in the first year but the seed mix also consists of biannuals and these come true in their second year; however by having the rotavator I've started from scratch each year so only ever have seen the annuals but the meadow having suffered so much damage from the climate this year I'm going to do as you rightly suggest and next year at the season end will just cut back and not rotavate; I'm going to sell the rotavator because now almost 74 dragging the rotavator to the top of the mountain then struggling with the steep slope I need to back off before all this hard graft kills me.

Today I'll order the instant sunshine seed mix linked in post #17. I contacted Meadowmania who kindly recommended this mix; there's lots of information on this site;

How to create a wild flower meadow

The meadow does look stunning whilst in full bloom; it's just been unfortunate this year with the weather being so bad.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                  Ratings:
                  +44,492
                  That's fine then Colin. It does make sense to do that.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Retired

Retired.
                    Ratings:
                    +5,791
                    Hi,

Thanks Logan. :)

On topic I've just bought 500g of Instant Sunshine Meadow Mix wildflower seeds from Meadowmania costing a total £43.25; good value considering the beautiful meadow the packet will contain.

19 August 2021_0001.JPG
                    I wandered up the mountain armed with the rake this morning and spent an heavy hour raking whilst trying to remain upright; if I had one leg longer than the other it would help.
                    19 August 2021_0002.JPG
                    The camera held level; I could fall over just looking at the slope; how strange the wildflowers which self seeded as seen under the shade of the trees survived but the ones I broadcast the seeds for got flattened; typical of my luck. Meadowmania in their email suggested I broadcast the new seeds next month but in their online information I can broadcast the seeds mid August to mid September so as soon as the seeds arrive I'll introduce them to our climate; my wife has just told me its raining again so at least I've beaten the downpour today for a change.

Here's examples off topic of what I get up to Logan and what I enjoy; I'll have a go at anything that grabs my interest.
                    Workshop_0006.JPG
                    A vintage wire wound potentiometer from a very valuable rare car; I forget now the details but I do remember the car fuel gauge was reading full whilst the tank was half emty; this potentiometer was the original but the gauge was a near replacement so as a challenge I took it on to sort it out just for interest.

Workshop_0004.JPG
                    Here I'm experimenting with Whale Tufnel to form the new track; I didn't know I could heat form the Tufnol but I needed a track so this is what I did.

Workshop_0001.JPG
                    I had to work out the resistance to balance the full sweep of the petrol tank float to the gauge; I hand wound the resistance wire but the project was long and involved. I did this completely free for a forum member as I've done with a number of projects over the years.

Workshop_0001_01.JPG Here's the original potentiometer track; where do I start. The wire was the wrong restance and the track burned beyond further use; I couldn't make it worse. The car owner was absolutely delighted and the project being unique was well received on the forum.

Here's a totally different project; I was fully restoring an AVO Wave Winder used in vintage radio work; it was missing a number of parts so I simply made them these being some of them.

Workshop_0002.JPG
                    One of the aluminium knobs is original the other I made.

Workshop_0003.JPG
                    The two knobs with more items I made; the bar at the top has a revolving cone center.

These are the kinds of projects I mean Logan not really suited to a gardening forum but fit in nicely onto other forums.

I'm rained off at the moment and don't fancy making a start in the workshop so I'm a keyboard warrior. :yahoo:

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 2
                      Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
                    • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                      Ratings:
                      +44,492
                      Hi
                      Colin I can understand that now about you going on other forums and good luck with your new meadow.
                      Logan

• Like Like x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Retired

Retired.
                        Ratings:
                        +5,791
                        Hi,

Thanks Logan; I'll keep posting on here if I think it's of interest also thanks for your good wishes which I truly appreciate.

Whilst awaiting the seeds to arrive I can resume work on the induction heater project; if I'm busy I'm happy; no doubt I'll also find something to do in the gardens too like grass cutting and trimming laurels etc.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 3
                        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +52,541
                          Good luck with the new seeds Colin. :)

• Like Like x 1
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Retired

Retired.
                            Ratings:
                            +5,791
                            Hi,

Many thanks Sheal. I'll be off to a flying start next year by broadcasting the seeds this year; normally I rotavate three times but having just rotavated it's going to save two jobs and I can take advantage of the warmer weather doing the job now; usually I've waited until the frosts arrive before strimming the flowers and rotavating but working up the mountain in such conditions has never been pleasant.

The rotavator is now on sale; in a way I'm saddened because in spite of it being incredibly hard work I liked using it. I can highly recommend one of these Hyundai rotavator/tillers; I had to dig the meadow over by spade twice before the rotavator could get a grip but once I'd been over the first time it started to become easier but has always been very hard work; on a level site like an allotment I bet these rotavators are a real joy to own and use.

Hyundai._0001.JPG
                            Hyundai petrol Rotavator front view. Hyundai._0002.JPG
                            Three seasons use and still in wonderful condition only ever being used mostly for the meadow. I checked the oil level and filled with fuel; it did the whole meadow on the one tank full. Hyundai._0003.JPG
                            I look after all my toys; it's always been dry stored in the garden hut. Hyundai._0007.JPG
                            When I first started to use the rotavator one of the tine blades became dislodged rotating on its rivet; I repositioned it but it happened again; the ground was full of stones; roots and other assorted debris; fortunately each time the tines jammed no damage was caused to the rotavator because it's fitted with a clutch which slips. Being a mechanical engineer I sorted the problem out; I removed both lots of tines and welded the blades so they no longer rely on just rivets; I'm surprised the factory doesn't weld rather than use rivets. It's handy having a well equipped workshop. I bought a pair of large plastic wheels thinking I'd modify the rotavator into rear tine making it a lot easier to use for me also I planned to relocate the hand control lever which as standard is above the handlebar; I think below the handlebar would be better but now I'm selling it I won't bother; I've not had the time to carry out the modifications. Doing such modifications obviouslt invalidates the warranty but not a problem for me because I could fix any problem on such a machine.

I often modify equipment to suit my needs usually at little cost other than time; when I start a project or job I always take it back to basics to see if I can improve on it; when I retired the first job was to remove nine steps leading to the bungalow rear door I dug out tons of wet clay and installed a sloping pathway at 42' long; what a difference this has made and having thought this idea up three more neighbours have copied but they got contractors in. I think I'll add a thread covering the job just for interest.

I've already done the three supermarket shopping this morning and am now enjoying a mug of tea before getting off my backside before another day slips quietly by.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 2
                            • Retired

Retired.
                              Ratings:
                              +5,791
                              Hi,

Early start up the moutain with spade and rake this morning doing the final touches then I've just broadcast the new wildflower seeds; I'm now well in front already for next year saving lots of work on the meadow; I've rotavated for the last time so I'll see how the meadow develops.

I'm sighing and ticking again as I cool down enjoying a mug of tea; as long as I have tea I can do anything. :)

Time now for some R&R in the workshop.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 2
                              • Finston Pickle

Finston Pickle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                                +17
                                I was considering a wildflower meadow before reading how difficult they are to get going and maintain. I don't have Transevanian leigh men available like Prince Charles uses to mow or the staff to maintain it. Also most of then seem to grow too tall in my opinion and are very difficult to establish. I'm a similar age to you.

I am now thinking about strong, relatively low, non poisonous, perenial plants that can grow successfully through grass and strim between them as necessary. What do you think of that concept?