1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Third year meadow.

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Retired, Jul 20, 2021.

1. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,267
    this has me and Google completely stumped; could you please explain a bit more.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
      Ratings:
      +5,791
      Hi,

Thanks for asking. I emailed Meadowmania asking for their advice regarding the problem I'd had with the weather flattening the wildflowers hoping to buy a wildflower seed mix consisting of low growing wildflowers but unfortunately they don't offer such a mix which is a pity but the reply did say the weather had been unusually bad.

To answer your question the only thing I can think about is browsing the web for low growing wild flowers then buy your own seed mix.

Having already broadcast my wildflower seeds last year in readiness for this year's growing season I was surprised to see lots of these seeds grow into plants up to 18" tall; they looked a mess and with frosts and winter arriving I strimmed the lot so I'm interested to see what grows this year. I sold the Hyundai petrol rotavator to a couple with an allotment; the heavy work involved dragging the rotovator to the top of the mountain and fighting the steep slope using it was getting too much of a chore; by the time I got it to the top I had to get my breath back before I could even start it let alone use it.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
        Ratings:
        +44,506
        Hi @Retired how are you?
        This year I've bought 2 packs of wildflower seeds, one is corn marigold grows to 1ft.and the other corn chamomile 8 inches they're new to Mr.Fothergill seeds and plants. There's some other ones as well and seperate varieties. I also grow single flowers and they're better for wildlife.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Retired

Retired.
          Ratings:
          +5,791
          Hi,

Thanks for asking Logan; I'm good and I hope you are too being full of life for 2022.

It's interesting to know about Mr. Fothergills seed mixes which should help Finston Pickle and also he could add other seeds to the mix; I bought Meadowmania wildflower seed mix because they were convenient with a good selection but perhaps looking back with hindsight I'd have been better off choosing shorter plants given our very exposed valley position; my meadow though looked absolutely stunning for the first two years; I hope this year the fourth makes up for the poor year last year. I put in hundreds of hours of hard graft and from our bungalow window we can't even see the meadow but it's nice to climb to the top of the garden and see it in full bloom.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 1
          • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
            Ratings:
            +44,506
            Thank you Colin and yes I'm well and glad that you are too.

Yes your seed mix is fine, it's just that I haven't much room for a lot of them. I keep trying to convince hubby to dig up some more grass and thanks about fothergills.
            Take care Logan.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Finston Pickle

Finston Pickle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +17
              Hi,
              I was referring (incorrectly) to the Transylvanian helpers, who Prince Charles uses to mow his wildflower meadow by hand - using old hand held, swinging tools - I don't know what the best word for the tool is, although I used them I was a youth.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                Ratings:
                +21,267
                Thanks that makes sense now. Scythes I would think.

• Like Like x 1
                • Finston Pickle

Ratings:
                  +17
                  Yes I remembered it was Scythes as soon as I posted, thanks. At our farm we called them "lays" but I never knew how it was spelled.

• Informative Informative x 1
                  • Finston Pickle

Ratings:
                    +17
                    My latest thinking is to leave the meadowland and periodically have it cut.

I am wondering whether to grow a rotation of perenial plants, which can cope with grasses, through the meadow grass in certain areas.

I have seen snowdrops, daffodils, peonies and alliums in the flesh and on TV which all look OK. Research shows many more bulbs and perenials that could well work if they are full strength when planted.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Veggrower

Veggrower Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                      +13
                      Hi Retired, your photos of your meadow look v. good! Must be a complex mixture! do you get all your seed from Meadow manias? For the past few years I've bought my individual seed packets of wildflower seeds from Wild Garden Seeds British Wild Flower Seeds - Free postage on all orders there is free postage on all orders whatever the size, they have a huge range of individual species.

• Informative Informative x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Retired

Retired.
                        Ratings:
                        +5,791
                        Hi,

Thanks for asking Veggrower. Yes the wildflower mixture is mixed indeed; a large selection of wildflowers and also grasses but I think if I rotavate again next year I'll select a mixture without grass because grass tends to take over. The site you kindly posted has seed mixes without grasses so next year I think I'll switch to these.

I feel tired having just felled; logged and shredded 15 big trees mostly very tall conifers and I've just come indoors having shredded the last much to my delight. the job started with storm damage to a huge willow tree; we suffered five storms in two weeks. I was absolutely fed up of the high winds coming up the valley blowing trees over tormenting me just when I wanted to relax so now I've solved the problem; these trees can no longer be blown down because I've taken control.

It's been a nighmare working up the mountain for the last fortnight; extremely hard graft in dire weather conditions whilst fighting to stand upright on the steep slope being buffeted by perishing wind; I was out early this morning before the frost departed and once again in a perishingly cold wind.

Over the last three years I've been using an Hyundai petrol rotavator which has done a good job but the last time I used it in autumn last year I'd had enough; by the time I'd dragged it up the mountain I had little strength left to start it let alone use it; after rotavating I sold it.

Because the meadow is now cleared of stones; roots and assorted debris it's a lot easier to rotavate so I've bought a much lighter 2 stroke petrol rotavator which has arrived and is assembled fully running which I'll shortly try out.

Unlike when I removed the huge hedge at the top of the mountain including stumps and roots this time the stumps will be left to remind me of how hard the work is. I've cleared an enormous amount from our rear garden so now it's mostly a blank canvas; I need to give the middle of the garden thought as to what to plant but in the meantime the meadow is next on the list.

12 March 2022_0002.JPG
                        The conifers I've just removed middle & right all at 50' tall with dense foliage. 12 March 2022_0008.JPG
                        It's just over 60' from the conifer base to the top corner of the garden; I used a method of measuring tree height taken from YouTube and it worked a treat. All 15 trees were brought down exactly where wanted. 14 March 2022_0001.JPG
                        The conifer looks like just one but in fact it's a cluster of three all at 50' tall.
                        15 March 2022_0001.JPG
                        Two down one to go. 15 March 2022_0004.JPG
                        Logging underway. It sure is unpleasant working on the steep often wet and windy slope. 17 March 2022_0001.JPG
                        The heavy job of taking the logs right down to the driveway in front of our bungalow underway also lots of brash has been dragged down ready to be shredded. 17 March 2022_0002.JPG
                        Cutting so that I could lift the logs. 17 March 2022_0003.JPG
                        8 very tall trees removed from up the fence line and 7 very tall trees removed from the center of the garden; I don't want an action replay of this job. 17 March 2022_0006.JPG
                        Just a few of the logs awaiting collection; this is the last load of many and once they are collected I'll be delighted to have this huge job behind me; still plenty of hard graft yet though; I'm rotavating next.

All I want to do is be retired in peace allowed to practice playing my violins but I can dream on; why have it easy when I can work myself to a standstill every day; 21 years into retired and now aged 74 still grafting; it keeps me fit.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 4
                        • Veggrower

Veggrower Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                          +13
                          I had a large orange coloured rotavator many years ago, but it was so powerful that I could neither turn it or stop it. It had a mind of its own and did as it pleased most of the time.. It had to go in the end and needed a trailer to take it away. These days when I sow my wildflower seeds I tend to just "scratch" the surface grass off so that the seeds can make contact with the soil.

That looks like a lot of heavy work you've completed there and in adverse weather conditions too, it's a credit to you. We've just had our trees pollarded, the guys were using climbing gear to do the job, turned out to be quite a job. But then how many times does a simple job turn out to be something much bigger by the time it's completed!

Those photos really tell the story of the work you've done, what a good job. You certainly deserve a couple of beers after all that!

• Like Like x 2
                          • jimcubs

jimcubs Gardener

Ratings:
                            +598
                            I had a gently slopping garden with 28 trees from conifer to cherry, I cut the tops down to 4’ high and then cut to 1’. Not wishing to damage my body further after a spell in hospital I bought a digger.
                            Not the big type but a small one which needed work making it cheap, I fixed it up with some new bits and bobs. Then used it to get the tree and bush roots out, then sold it for a profit.
                            I paid £800 for it then spent £200 in parts and sold it for £1400
                            How about getting it home and transport well it went in the back of a Luton van with a tail lift, it had its on trailer which was not then roadworthy and that went in too.

• Like Like x 2
                            • Retired

Retired.
                              Ratings:
                              +5,791
                              Hi,

Thanks Veggrower, was your rotavator an Howard by any chance; I always fancied one of these but like yours I'm sure I wouldn't be able to control it should I even get it into the garden.

I couldn't agree more; yes small jobs always expand; I think decorating is a good example; decorate one room then compare the white; might as well buy new carpets too?

Bron and I are tee total but thanks for the thought; we enjoy mugs of tea; strange how a mug of tea and a biscuit work like a turbo.

Thanks for your nice story jimcubs. Well done with your mini digger; a success story and I bet you were pleased to finally get the job done and even make a profit too; I'd like a Bobcat but again no chance of getting it up our garden because of access problems. 28 trees is some going and I bet you went to bed at night and dropped into a coma like I've been doing. I hope you're well now.

Years ago whilst installing flood defences I needed a cement mixer and I never hire equipment; I bought a new electric cement mixer through eBay; as soon as it arrived so did the rain so it sat unused for a couple of weeks whilst the trench turned into a moat; I used it for mixing concrete then sold it now at six weeks old; it cost me £20 in the end; a huge saving on hiring and it was delivered free.

19 March 2022_0002.JPG
                              The valley drops down to the main road; we have panoramic views from our front windows but at a cost; we also endure extremes of weather being so exposed. Here's a picture taken part way down the garden showing the area now cleared which I've just completed. 19 March 2022_0003.JPG
                              Uphill picture; I've now got plenty of garden to play in. 19 March 2022_0006.JPG
                              Another uphill picture showing the cleared area.
                              18 March 2022_0005.JPG
                              Here's the top of the garden where I created a wildflower meadow three years ago; I rotavated it yesterday and have just broadcast new wildflower seeds. This garden is so steep it's hard work just standing upright. Now the trees are down and the debris cleared I can concentrate on the middle of the garden which I'll try digging over by spade then sow more wildflower seed.

I've been asked if I'm tired? No but getting there. :yahoo:

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 2
                              • jimcubs

jimcubs Gardener

Ratings:
                                +598
                                Hope you dressed for the part, a red checked shirt shorts and braces with a Canadian hat on your head.
                                And stood with one foot on a stump shouting timmmmmmmmbbbbbbbeeeeerrrrr.

• Funny Funny x 2
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1