1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tigridia and crocosmia bulbs, best time to plant?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by al n, Jan 10, 2013.

1. al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    A very nice eve to you all out there :SUNsmile:

I bought these today and I'm unsure when to plant them. I'm starting them off in pots to get them going, then transferring them into the ground when decent sizes ( that's the plan!)
    When is the best time to start them growing, what's the best conditions and will a j innes multi purpose do?

Fank yoos all in advance for the many replies :ccheers: :dancy: :hapydancsmil: :heehee: :imphrt:

2. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Al they are both really hard and will start flowering naturally from July to August , best time is to plant them out in March .....
    Really hard to catch the tigridia in flower , the flower only last one day but will come out with lots of buds , so plant a lots of them to really enjoy.

where did you get them from?

• Like Like x 1
    • al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
      Ratings:
      +3,267
      Thanks sal!

I bought 15 crocosmia bulbs, and 10 tigridia bulbs. Will they need warmth to kick start them or just put them in pots, covered in compost, water and away we go?

I got them in a local garden centre btw, and I think £1.99 for the tigridia and 2.49 for the crocosmia wasn't half bad.

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      I would strongly raccomand you to buy more tigridia , they are like hemerocallis , the flower only last one day , but each tuber will produce 3/6 flower , they are amazing and really hardy ......you can start them in pot if you like but that will not make any difference , use some sand to mix with the compost , slugs don`t really love sand ...
      My crocosmia have been outdoor since I planted with no problem .

• Like Like x 1
      • al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
        Ratings:
        +3,267
        I will sal, next time I'm there I'll pick a few more packets up.

I bought a hemerocallis last year, it never flowered though.

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,998
        hemerocallis will take time before will start to flowering no stop .....got few myself and they just flowered this year after 3 years in the soil .....they well worth , don`t give up yet.

• Like Like x 1
        • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Living North of The Border, I can confirm Crocosmia Lucifer variety is very hardy not so sure about the yellow varieties tho. If splitting up a clump I do this about March time here before the new shoots are appearing as it is very easy to break the new growth as they seem annoyingly brittle.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          I'd plant the crocosmia in March , the ones I planted (Lucifer ) only flower the second year.