1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

tips thread; how to keep wee beasties off?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by suey, Mar 21, 2005.

1. suey

suey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello,
    can anyone give us new gardeners some tips for keeping all things slimy and creepy off our newly planted garden plants/veggies/flowers etc?
    I remember the old one about diverting slugs and snails attentions away from your lovely vegetables by sinking a margarine tub half full of beer near the plants; they like the taste of beer more than veg...go sliding over for a shufty and end up in slug heaven!

anyone got anymore tips?

sue :D

2. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sue

A really good (organic) way to keep away the slimy slugs & snails is to spray plants with cheap instant coffee (4 Tablespoons to a handheld sparayer). You have to do it every day for a week or so, then after rain, but I found it works. Don't bother with coffee grounds, the molluscs aren't that sophisticated!

3. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Bayleaf, With all that caffine I bet the slugs are racing around your garden like Speedy Gonzales on Prozac; they won't have time to stop and eat the plants! ;)

4. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, as long as they don't eat my plants, I don't care. Copper matting from DIY outlets good too - keep the b****rs really jangling...